Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why should I get back into Ham radio?  (Read 756 times)
WA3RSL

Ignore
« on: February 29, 2004, 06:44:46 PM »

Hello all. Been inactive for a couple of years. Was thinking of getting back into Ham radio. Why should I?
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 04:21:53 AM »

Why did you get into it in the first place?
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 10:59:06 AM »

<< Was thinking of getting back into Ham radio. Why should I?  >>

With all due respect, if you have to ask that question you probably shouldn't.

Anyone that needs to be convinced by someone else into doing something isn't really interested.

Lon
KB6NU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 04:38:53 PM »

Although I have been licensed for 32 years, I was mostly inactive from the early 80s through August 2002. I got sucked back into it by going to our local club's 2002 Field Day event.

I hadn't made a CW contact for ages, but I convinced one of the phone ops there to hook up a key to his rig so that we could pound some brass. We weren't very good, but we did make a few contacts. The most important thing, though, was that we had a lot of fun doing it.

That experience got me hooked on ham radio all over again. I've since set up an HF station and try to make a few CW contacts every day. I've increased my speed from barely 13 wpm to where I can easily hold a QSO at 20 wpm, and during contests, I'm not afraid to crank it up to 25 wpm or more.

I've also learned a lot about antennas. I think one of the reasons I put ham radio on the back burner is that I was never very good with antennas. I don't know exactly what I was doing wrong before, but since getting back on the air, I've built several antennas, and have good success with all of them. That's actually been one of the most fulfilling parts of getting back on the air again.

What I've been enjoying even more, though, is meeting and chatting with some very interesting people. If you stick around long enough, you'll get to know some of these guys (and gals, although there are far fewer of them, unfortunately) as more than just call signs and QTHes.

At some point in the past, you enjoyed the hobby enough to get your license and presumably do a little operating. Well, the technology has changed a bit since then, but the hobby is still basically the same. The grumps here are trying hard to make people believe that ham radio's going to hell, but pay them no mind. Get back in there and have some fun.

73!

Dan KB6NU
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 06:48:03 PM »

I'd suggest listening to the bands you used to operate to see if the activity still appeals to you.  

73 de Chuck  NI0C
WA3RSL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 11:58:12 PM »

Thanks guys for all the responses. I was licensed in 1971. I used to be very active and was a pretty big gun on 40 meters. I had some very large wire beams. You might say I got bored with big signal reports. I think listening to the old bands again is a good idea and maybe thinking about trying something new.

73 Fank
K5PU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 11:30:53 AM »

Sounds like you need something more challenging then just being a 'big gun on 40'. I was licensed in the mid 70's and let it lapse. I decided to get relicensed in 2001 and it took me about a year to get bored talking about the same ol same ol and almost decided to give it up again.

Then I got interested in QRP, built a K2, decided to hang up the mic and get back into CW. So I basically gave up all the easy ways and now I'm challenged enough to keep my interest. VERY rewarding too I might add.
N7DKK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 09:40:18 PM »

I have to agree with K5PU.

I've been active during every sunspot cycle since 1957.  

QRO, big antennas, tons of time at the console. Between cycles I dismantle the station and do something else.

Last year I, too, discovered the Elecraft K2 and QRP.  It's a whole new world.  Even though the solar cycle is on the decline, the QRP brings new excitement to the hobby, not to mention using a rig that you built yourself.

There's lots of new stuff out there, sniff around a little until you find something that lights the old fire again.
WA3RSL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 08:29:51 PM »

Thanks guys. I was thinking about QRP. I was checking out a used Yaesu FT-817.

I also just resubscribed to QST. Been looking at my back issues too. I also think 2 meter sideband might be a challenge. Hope to be back on the air as soon as I gather up the funds.

Frank
KB5DPE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 11:42:22 PM »

Frank,

See my post on ICOM 7800 prices, it probably applies here more than there.  First licensed in 1962, out of 42 years, I've probably been active, at most, 7 years.  My problem was equipment prices.  I wish I had gotten into QRP and CW back then.  If I had, the active/inactive ratio probably would have been reversed.  That K2 does look good!  Who knows?

73 Tom KB5DPE
N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 01:53:17 PM »

Plan on spending about $50,000 or more! Other wise you will be scratching in the dirt with me and the chickens. I tried quitting for a year but nearly went nuts. I can't live without it! But can't live with the prices. If this keeps up I'll be down to a bicycle generator and a spark transmitter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: