Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 7800 Price  (Read 1033 times)
N6VQQ

Ignore
« on: March 08, 2004, 04:58:25 AM »

WOW!!! The engineers at Icom must all have High End SUV'S  that need to have their gas tanks filled.
  I'm  would assume that this is a Great unit to demand such a high price, but "Get Real Icom", this IMHO is way out of line.
   I for one would be scared as $%#@! if I had one of these units, and it broke down.
    This could be one reason that we are losing a lot of great people from this hobby, mainly gear that is out of reach, but in this instance "out of touch with reality" again, IMHO.
    I wonder if "Gigaparts" will have this as a contest give away. LOL
     73  Ron   N6VQQ
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 10:56:04 AM »

IMO, there's always room at the top for really high-end gear - gear that incorporates the best that technology has to offer.  The Collins radios were quite expensive in their days, and "coveted" by many.  Because of their price, they were not for everybody, however.

That said, you won't find me buying one of these 7800s.  Spending a quarter or half of that money on antennas will net FAR better results.  Still... twisting the knobs on a radio like that can be cool.

Mike N2MG
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 06:45:38 PM »

I know several people who've already ordered the IC-7800 at a unit price of $10,500 each and are on the waiting list to take delivery.  One is a neighbor and friend of mine, and Dave advised me he's number 14 (as of yesterday) on a list at Burghardt's; there are also waiting lists at all the other Icom distributors.

I suspect hundreds will be sold the same week they take them off the boat in Long Beach.

Of course, just two days ago Yaesu announced their new FTDX-9000, which is their updated replacement for the FT-1000D.  It's expected to be in a similar price range, and create similar demand.

WB2WIK/6
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 11:09:31 AM »

N6VQQ Wrote:
>This could be one reason that we are losing a
>lot of great people from this hobby, mainly
>gear that is out of reach, but in this instance
>"out of touch with reality" again, IMHO.

With gas approaching $2 a gallon, when I drive to the grocery store, I take that '91 Geo Metro that usually just sits in the driveway.  It may not be the most elegant tool for the job, but it's an acceptable tool for the particular job I want to accomplish at the time.

Just as not everybody needs a Lexus or Mercedes, not everybody "needs" or even covets a $10,000 radio.  I can't imagine anyone leaving the hobby just because somebody ELSE buys an expensive radio.  No logic there.  Nice that good gear is out there, nice that there are ads to drool over. Hams have always drooled over the latest piece of gear.  It's part of the hobby.

I have plenty of fun with my used 570 and my wire dipoles. Lots of other people have fun with used or inexpensive gear too.  If I invest more money into the hobby, it will be for better antennas FIRST.  But I don't think that Icom coming out with a $10,000 radio is going to chase me out of the hobby.  Heck, the guy with that new radio has to talk to SOMEBODY.  It might as well be me.
N2NZJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 10:14:25 PM »

THE RIG IS NICE BUT THE PRICE IS WAY TOOOOOOO HIGH. HEY ICOM PLEASE GET REAL. as the lot of us are not HOWARD HUGHES, BILL GATES, J.P. GETTY OR SOME OTHER BILLIONAIRE OR MILLIONAIRE. the only people that are happy are the very very WELL TO DO ELITISTS. the old i have a collins what are you using. 50's and 60's era. cliche. L O L ICOM. I CAN'T AFFORD IT THANKS BUT NO THANKS. i'll keep my old rig for another 10 years.when BPL COMES IN IT WON'T BE WORTH A PLUG NICKEL HI HI HI. 73 TOM N2NZJ.
K5PU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 01:16:49 PM »

Of course it's too high... so is the new Shelby Cobra coming from Ford. Would I like to have one? Ubet! Can I afford it? Hardly.

However, those that can afford the high prices are paving the way for us 'poor folk' to benefit down the line when some of the engineering and resulting 'upscale' technology eventually migrates down to those products we CAN afford.
KB5DPE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 11:24:12 PM »

For what it's worth, I got my first ham license in late 1962, a technician license.  I spent most of my time modifying old UHF and VHF commercial gear.  As a consequence, I never bought a "ham" radio.  After letting my first license expire, I didn't get interested in ham radio again until 1986.  After getting my license (Novice), I went to the local ham radio store.  As a result of the prices for even used gear, I let my license lie dormant for 16 years!  I did renew it but never considered using it.  Finally, in 2002, at the urging of a couple co-workers I upgraded and went looking for my first HF radio.  Once again, prices almost caused me to put the hobby on hold.  Finally I broke down and bought a modest used rig (well under $1000.00).  I felt guilty about that for a long time, but I have enjoyed it.  

This long-winded dissertation is intended to show how high prices kept one ham out of the hobby for many years.  More power to those that can afford it.  It will never be me!

73 Tom KB5DPE
W1JIM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2004, 10:55:46 PM »

Cars, boats, planes; all consumer goods have a wide range of prices and options.  I love seeing a Ferrari or a Lamborghini; not because I anticipate ever owning one but just to see what can be done in a price is no object scenario.  And guess what; over time that technology filters down.  You should look at these hi end items as a vision of what kind of technologies will filter down in the years to come.
If you can afford one of these then that's great!  Maybe one day I'll get to operate it at a contest station or W1AW.  In the meantime it opens up new visions.
W1JIM
Jim Blumenfeld

N4VNV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 01:46:46 PM »

You rich guys make me puke! Why oh why can't I get rid of this sickness called "ham radio"? It must be nice to just purchase someone else's efforts and expertise at any price! Rag chews used to consist of what guys were building. Now they consist of what you have bought. Well I developed a 6M antenna you will never get, 'cause I won't tell how to build it. That way no one can steal it.
KI4ETP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2004, 07:02:41 AM »

K4SFC, I think perhaps you've lost sight of what amature radio is all about.  Perhaps because I'm a new HAM my view is some what diluted, however.  I will say that in my view, and in my experience, HAM's enjoy talking about how they did this, or modified this, or designed that.  They do this to help inspire and help other operators.  If profits were all everyone thought about, this hobby would have probobly ground to a halt years and years ago before I was even born.  The satasfaction you might recieve from posting your 6M design might help countless new ham's open up a new band and make contacts they didn't previously even count among the possible things they could do with their modest equipment.  For instance, I have a Yaesu VX-5R, and I've tried to figure out how to design a tri-band antenna( and let me tell you, its not easy ;P ), I could do a 2M/70cm design easy enough, but the 6M stoped me trying to design such an antenna.  Now if you had posted such an artical I might beable to incorporate it into my design for the 2M/70CM antenna, opening up the chance to do alot more with my 5W worth of power.  Then I could share that design with others, who then can help others, and so on and so forth, it's like lighting a wild fire.  I also don't have any Ilusions about selling such an antenna design, I'll leave that to Diamond, GAP, etc.   I don't mean this as a harsh statement, I'm sure you're a great operator, but please consider what I've said, and perhaps re-evaluate where you stand on the position of sharing knowledge with other operators.

Thank you,
--KI4ETP
DL6MBI

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2004, 04:04:05 PM »

Hi!

KP5U wrote: "...However, those that can afford the high prices are paving the way for us 'poor folk' to benefit down the line when some of the engineering and resulting 'upscale' technology eventually migrates down to those products we CAN afford."

That's it!

73' de Rolf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: