Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I need info about a power supply!  (Read 420 times)
EXPAT

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2004, 10:32:11 AM »

Hello, sorry to bother you guys again (you really helped with my T90a battery question) but, now that I am planning a sort of base station, I need a power supply.  There are many available, but which would be a good choice?  For the time being, my interest is in technician/class 2 operation, I am thinking about the Yaesu 8900.  My preference is for an American-made power supply, perhaps linear but not necessarily, and with a cigarette-lighter plug included to easily use my walkie-talkie.  Yeah, that could be added later, but I like things to be neat and compact.  Speaking of which, the supply had to be reasonably light (less than twenty pounds or so) as I will haul it to Europe this summer.  Likewise, it has to be 110/240V, without major modification.  
Thanks in advance for your help.
Randy
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 11:20:08 PM »

hi randy,

Since you want to travel with it, a switching supply could be your best bet. Light weight and compact, international ac input (just change the cable).

not sure how much money you want to budget for the supply.  Astron and MFJ have nice units.

If money is tight, surplus supplies are another way to go.  Look for Lambda brand linear or switching supplies.

You can always add a lighter socket/cord to the supply.

73 james
EXPAT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 05:29:32 AM »

Dear James,
Thank you for your advice.  Actually, I had already seen some reviews here on eham, but the truth is I don´t know much about power supplies and how they work...but I´m learning!  Indeed, I will probably order an Astron unit from Universal Radio (their customer service really isn´t that great but their website is easy to use) in the summer.  I hope a switching supply will filter the line noise well enough here in the Czech Republic, where the mains current is somewhat irregular.  Again, I appreciate the timely (unlike this reply!) and sound advice from the members of this site. Randy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: