Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: X10 problem  (Read 943 times)
VE4BLB

Ignore
« on: June 02, 2004, 10:45:54 AM »

This is probably off topic but I'm desparate.
I have a Radio Shack mini controller which used to control some lights in my home. Now, it has quit turning the lights on. It will turn them off, but not on. I replaced the remote modules and the controller with new ones. Same problem. I tried all possible switch combinations. Same problem.
Does anyone have any ideas?
73 de me BLB

73 de me BLB
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 01:15:26 PM »

Yeah, Don't buy from Radio Shack.....but you already knew that.
VE4BLB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 10:14:54 PM »

Thank you "DROLLTROLL" for the words of your apparent wisdom. If you had the stones to put ypour name or address in your profile, I would have contacted you privately.
FYI, The new controller and modules were purchased from Farnbrook, NOT radio Shack!!
72 2U

73 de me BLB
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 12:37:05 PM »

>>Thank you "DROLLTROLL" for the words of your apparent wisdom.<<

Oh no need to thank me, it's pretty obvious to most people that Radio Shack is not the place to shop for anything more than a fuse or cheap switch, and even that is suspect.

>> If you had the stones to put ypour name or address in your profile, I would have contacted you privately.<<

Sure, I would love to talk to you. I believe I can help you with that humourless uptight attitude:-)
http://www.mts.net/~wolven/madrg/walker.htm

>>FYI, The new controller and modules were purchased from Farnbrook, NOT radio Shack!!<<

Well at least you're learning not to repeat your Radio Shack mistakes..... I see hope for you!

>>72 2U<<

69 is better with the right person.
VE4BLB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 07:17:43 PM »

OK "DROLLTROLL, I checked out the very impressive web site. I strongly suspect that it isn't yours at all. I left a message for that person to call me. He apparently hasn't a clue as to who I am as the call was not returned.
BLB

73 de me BLB
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 01:51:51 AM »

That's probably because you forgot to mention that "your desperate". (Sorry, I had to correct your spelling of "desparate").
VE4BLB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2004, 05:32:31 PM »

I think you have me mixed up with another person. I don't recall or see any reference to "your desperate" Besides,  I know how to spell and am considered somewhat a grammarian.
How come my phone call was not returned?
BLB

73 de me BLB
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2004, 06:45:06 PM »

Re-read your first post and check your spelling of desperate. Your call was returned however at the number you left the psych nurse on duty said patients aren't allowed to receive calls. Aso, your second post contains a grammatical error too.
VE4BLB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 02:39:40 PM »

Oops, I apologize fer mspellin in my furst post.
However, the phone number I gave to the answering machine, was my home phone. If you are indeed, the good doctor that you claim to be, I would have received the call.
Fess up, who are you?
BLB

73 de me BLB
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 04:28:35 PM »

Uh-oh, my reputation is ruined! I never claimed to be a GOOD doctor. As to my calls, all calls are returned promptly  using mental telepathy. Perhaps my tin foil hat was on a little to tight, I'll try again in a little while:-)

Dr. Olltroll
(Bummer 'bout the Stanley Cup eh!)
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 04:51:58 PM »

This thought just ocurred to me....

Certain types of bulbs can act as a block to the X10 signal.
The following types of bulbs should NOT be used with Wall Switch Module:

Fluorescent bulbs
Halogen Bulbs
Sodium Vapor Bulbs
Any kind of energy saver bulb (i.e. Sylvania Capsellite, GE Miser, etc.)
Any kind of low voltage bulb

The X10 signals, which are transmitted onto the house wiring (onto one phase), will normally couple across to the other phase through the breaker panel, pole transformer etc. If however, due to loading, you do not have enough coupling, you may couple the signal from one phase to the other by having a qualified electrician install a 0.1 microfarad, 240V AC or 600V DC capacitor across your 220 volt line from hot to hot, i.e. across any 220 volt breaker. This will couple the signal from one phase to the other. The capacitor should be rated for "across the line connection" such as part number P4603 available from the Digi-Key catalog. This part can be purchased from Digi-Key by calling 1-800-344-4539.

Alternatively, you may be able to solve the problem simply by moving the controller to another outlet. If the controller is plugged into the same outlet as a TV its output may be reduced. Moving the controller away from the TV may also solve the problem.

http://www.x10.com/support/support_x10faq.htm

KB7YOU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 09:40:31 AM »

Hi VE4BLB,

I have done a lot of work with X10 and have been using it for 20 years (man time does fly).

I'm sure I can help you diagnose the problem and get the thing working again. From your brief description I'd guess there is some type of interference issue. I know that seems strange but its a good possiblity.

Anyway, feel free to email me with the details you have posted here as well as anything else you have tried and  I'll see if I can help.

My eHam profile has my email address or you can just use my call sign @ arrl.net.

Chris
KB7YOU
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2004, 12:25:03 AM »

VE4BLB:

Sorry you have this problem, and also with the freeloaders on the forum.  Too bad they have so much free time to taunt people with problems.

I write the "technical service" column for Tech Living magazine.  So I can probably help you!  ;-)

Your problem is not unique, but isn't easily solved, either.  There are literally dozens of things that can cause this to happen.  Troubleshooting can only be done by someone with specialized test equipment and experience, and only in person.

Alternatives: Would you be willing to buy some other devices that are less trouble-prone than the ones you have?  How important is getting this to work?
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2004, 05:11:19 AM »

Some people are just waaaaay too uptight.

p.s. Don't feed/taunt the trolls.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: