Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Console design  (Read 589 times)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2004, 11:40:37 AM »

Two answers:

Tape measure and Visio!

Visio, which is included in many MSFT packages as a throw-in or available as stand-alone software very inexpensively, is a very simplistic CAD package that's easy to use and will transform your measurements into nice drawings in just an hour or two.  It has a directory of symbols that you can use, so even the worst artist in the world can make nice drawings.

Then, you can take those drawings (or transfer them) to a local cabinet shop or furniture maker and get a bid on having the console built per your specifications.

WB2WIK/6
VK2UAL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 02:12:56 PM »

Richard VK2UAL
Email: vk2ual@holdenfan.com

Gday to all
           I am looking at building my station console and would like to know if anyone knows of any design drawings that may be available as I dont have any artistic ability at all, my stick drawings look like, well I dont know quite what they look like hi. I have quite alot of gear to mount in the console ie TS-520, TS-820S x 2, FT-101, 2 Radio Scanners, ATU's x 2, amp's x 2, power supplies x 2 @ station meter's plus room to write and to store books and the like. I would be very greatful for any help or advice please. Well thats all for now, thanks for your time and help it is greatly appreciated. 73z
            Richard vk2ual - United Flt-840 Heavy Smiley
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 03:23:00 PM »

If you want cheap here is what I did , I scrounged all materials
                                              1.    Approximately 34 feet of 2x4 studs- source: building site dumpster
                                              2.    Solid wood door 3 feet by 7 feet- another dumpster
                                              3.    solid bifold door 1.5 feet by 7 feet- dumpster
                                              4.    30 inch by 6 foot storm door glass- neighbors trash
                                              5.    2 stereo speakers approx 1.5 foot tall
                                              6.    3 shelf bookcase 3 feet wide- different neighbor

Assembly:     Construct a simple frame from the studs to support the door typically 30 inches to top of desk( US standards).
                                                Lay door on top, bonus if it already has a hole drilled for the knob (now Wires)
                                                Lay glass on door, This gives you a nice smooth surface and an a place to slip tuning charts, call zones maps etc under the glass for ready reference.  
                                                Place speaker cabinets at both sides of the desktop,
                                                Place single bifold door on top of speakers
                                                place bookcase on bifold door.
                                   This allows for the pc tower to sit on floor by the legs, 2 power supplies to hang from the underside of desk, 2 power strips to hung as well. On desktop sits my monitor , ts 830,ts 520s,ten tec omin c,.and keyboard and mouse.
                                   From the bifold suspended above these rigs hangs a 10 meter mobile,2meter mobile, antenna rotor,mfj tuner, and an antenna switch which acts as a rig switch, another twin lead antenna switch of sorts swing lamp and microphone gooseneck.
                                   On the bifold surface sits the bookcase full of books, photos, lava lamp (hey sometimes I am in the mood )an 8 inch fan and my 8 or so desk mics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: