Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coaxial Cover  (Read 571 times)
N3QXX

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2004, 01:55:10 PM »

Hello all.  I am looking for something to protect coax from vandals.  I am running the line from the roof to the ground on the alley side of the bldg.  I am going to drive the ground rod at the base of the house, then run the line up about 25' from the arrestor, into the shack.  I need something that will be durable and neutral in color against red brick, and about 12' in length.  Any thoughts anyone??  Thanks to all.. and 73.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 02:15:54 PM »

Being coax you cna run it inside any type of pipe or conduit you choose. Get an electrical junction box to conceal the ground area construction. Or bring the coax inside the structure and take it back out at a harder to get at spot.  I have also seen  some nasty bushes used  to keep  vandals away.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 02:22:52 PM »

Chris,

Give me a call at home this evening and we'll talk over a couple of options. I'm in the BARC directory.

Lon
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 03:35:59 PM »

(Galvanized steel) conduit should do the job.  It's cheap, very tamper resistant, and can be held against buildings using those little clamps that cost about ten cents each, with masonry screws.  It can also be painted any color you wish to blend in...

Then, if somebody really wants to break your stuff outdoors, they'll always find a way, no matter what you do.  One reason I run all my outside cables (coax, rotor cables, etc) up high above ground, across the roof, stuff like that -- people can't touch it.  But I still get "vandalized" by squirrels with sharp teeth!

WB2WIK/6
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 06:05:18 PM »

Use threaded conduit "heavy wall" not EMT "thin wall," often loosely referred to as conduit, if you need really sturdy. Alternately there's the light weight EMT and there's solvent bonded gray PVC electrical conduit. All come in 10 foot lengths, so two pieces and a coupling should do it. Screw it together, screw clamps to the wall, and use tamper resistant fasteners on covers of LB, LR, LL, etc. boxes (those elongated top/rear, top/right, top/left pull boxes, also tee boxes, for tight corners). Use large enough size so the coax or wire pulls easy and if a long run get some wire pulling lube to make it slide thru the conduit easily.

For the ground wire to the stake, get a service enterance grounding clamp intended to fit the end of a conduit or EMT and clamp it to the stake/pipe/etc. and connect the wire in the conduit under the clamp screw on it. You should be able to find all you need at any good H/W store, big box or electrical wholesaler, likely also Grainger, MSC, McMaster etc.  
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 06:06:14 PM »

Oh, paint it brick red so it blends in.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 08:02:34 PM »

The most important aspect is probably how you attach the conduit to the building. I expect vandals are most likely to try and pull it off the building. Most are smart enough not to try and cut it with a hack saw when most conduits contain energized electrical wires. If they do, maybe the solution is to run a 240V line in it along with your coax :-)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 08:06:56 PM »

When I was aboard ship I had a guy who thought it was his job to remove any wires that hadn't been painted. As a result about once a week I found the RG8 for the ham shack cut at both ends and removed. My solution was to hook the antenna to a 28VAC transformer any time it was not in use (not enough to kill him but enough to create lots of sparks and smoke). He only cut it one more time! After that the cable stayed in place until it was eventually covered with paint like everything else.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 09:58:56 PM »

Hi,

Aluminum rigid conduit or aluminum emt should do the
job as KB1LKR posted.

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: