Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: frs / gmrs radios ???  (Read 533 times)
KB1LKR

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2004, 10:21:32 AM »

Here is is in a nutshell: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/generalmobile/
and
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/family/

FRS/GMRS in USA are 462-467 MHz FM, FRS is free/unlicensed, GMRS requires a $75(!), 5 year license, but allows greater power and/or ERP, detachable antennas, and more channels among other things.

There is also the new (2002) less well known/used Multi Use Radio Service (MURS), also free, 5 FM channels in 151-155MHz, considered a new part of CB (which includes the imfamous 40 AM (or SSB) voice channels at 27 MHz/11m and some radio control channels for planes etc.). MURS was formerly used for Private Mobile Land Radio (PLMR) -- Ind/Business HT's on shared channels.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 10:22:20 AM »

Here is is in a nutshell: http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/generalmobile/
and
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/family/

FRS/GMRS in USA are 462-467 MHz FM, FRS is free/unlicensed, GMRS requires a $75(!), 5 year license, but allows greater power and/or ERP, detachable antennas, and more channels among other things.

There is also the new (2002) less well known/used Multi Use Radio Service (MURS), also free, 5 FM channels in 151-155MHz, considered a new part of CB (which includes the imfamous 40 AM (or SSB) voice channels at 27 MHz/11m and some radio control channels for planes etc.). MURS was formerly used for Private Mobile Land Radio (PLMR) -- Ind/Business HT's on shared channels.
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 06:37:38 AM »

Here in the uk we have a licence free family radio type systmn operating on 8 channels within the 446 mhz freq range, operating at 500mw output power, these type approved sets are normally good for giving an effective operating range off betwen 1 and two miles under most operating conditions.

have recently started seeing sets available here in the uk that are advertised as having 22 channels on the frs / gmrs freq`s and having outputs off 500mw on the frs freq`s and between 2 / 3 and even up to 4 watts on these gmrs freq`s.

so bascially just really looking for more info as to what yous folks over there have in the way off this particular systmn ?? ie is this systmn a licence free thing ?? what is the max legally available power available ?? is it the 4 watt output sets ??

lastly !! would be very interested to hear what operating range these particular sets are normally reliable for ?? the adverts appearing here in the uk are normally listing the sets as giving anything off between 3 and 10 miles operating range - is this normally achievable ?? also anyone able to give me a list off the exact freq`s that the frs and gmrs systmn works on ??

thats it !! unfortunately these sets, although available in the uk normally via e-bay auctions etc at normally vastly inflated prices as to what you folks are probably paying over there in the likes off wallmart etc !! are illegal to use here in the uk, so it is just with interests sake that I am asking the above !!

kind regards,
              john

W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 12:14:51 PM »

I don't know what to tell you, here.  The FCC rules are vastly different from here to your rules there.

Your version of FRS is in the American 70cm band, so obviously, "our" FRS radios are different freq.

I don't exactly understand what's what, but the FRS radios use some of the channels that are supposed to be for gmrs.   The thing is, where American FRS units are 2.5 khz deviation, most of the American public service (police/fire) and commercial freq's are still 5 khz deviation, as is 2 meters and 70 cm amateur.

Last I knew, GMRS (higher power) was a licensed service, but who knows?   The FRS radios MUST have a fixed, non-removable antenna so you cannot hook the thing up to a rooftop or tower mount antenna.

As far as I'm concerned, they are toys.  They MIGHT be good for a family to stay in touch around a campground or some such.  

Actually, somewhere, someone in the US was speculating on how you might use the UK radios on US amateur bands!!  He was thinking somehow if you could lock the radio in "scan channel" that you could sorta get the thing to operate on a repeater!!!

Certainly not worth my time.

If you want to wade through all the legal-ese, you can look the reg's up on the internet, just like I can.
KC0KBH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 11:21:02 PM »

I got this really neat Japanese license free radio, it says "Kenwood Demitoss Pro".  Only 10mw, around 453 MHZ.  Transmits with a couple MHz shift, for the little repeaters that go with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: