Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty with Yaseu FC 20 antenna tuner  (Read 644 times)
N6HBJ

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2002, 02:30:40 AM »

Just got the FC 20 for my 847. On the bands where my SWR is apparently high, the tuner won't even stay on. So I don't even get the chance to tune it.

To turn on FC 20 you must hit the "tuner" button on the radio. Then, to actually tune, you hit the same "tuner" button but hold it for 1/2 a second and it begins to tune. If SWR is too high the "high SWR" icon comes on. Thats the way it is supposed to work.

Instead, on the bands where I have high SWR, everytime I turn the FC 20 on, my radio momentarilty transmits for 1/2 a second and the FC 20 immediately shuts off. So it never gets a chance to actually try to tune the frequency. The only reason I know its high SWR is because if I transmit a carrier manually the "high SWR" icon will light up.

I am not pleased as this is not working the way it is supposed to. I just got this today and will call the Yaseu tech line tommorrow. Has anyone else had this experience?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2002, 08:32:09 AM »

Question is, do you know what the VSWR is on your antenna? My guess it is out of the range capabilities of the tuner. In other words, too high!

Without knowing more about what kind of antenna, etc., it's as I said, guess work.

Alan, KØBG

WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2002, 05:31:28 AM »

The range of the FC-20 is not very wide. You could
have gotten a SGC-237 and had better results for
about the same money. I use one mobile and love it.
You may not have a sufficient ground or as some call
it counterpoise. The amount of reflective surface is
the counterpoise, not enough and the tuner can't
tune. But your problem sounds more like rf getting
back into the tuner, or a voltage drop on the
power cable to the tuner. Sometimes feeding things
via the accessory jacks of a rig is not a good idea
but the FC20 should have a cable to connect to the
rig that is designed for the load. Good luck.
73 - Tim
AF4KK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 03:59:10 PM »

I have the Yaesu FC-20 tuner hooked up to my FT-100D and a Hamstick in my mobile. The tuner is both fast and quiet (I have to turn the car's engine off just to HEAR it operate) and tunes all bands from  meters to 10! Yaesu has a "ground" mod which may help with the tuning process but more likely, you initial SWR's on your antenna are too high to begin with.

Good luck & 73's!

Scott Heath  (AF4KK)   Smiley

N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2002, 01:57:52 AM »

i got one for xmas,now u may have to try diffence lenght of coax  by adding longer or shorter jumpers ,mine went from 15 to 20.still working on more longer jumper or untill i found that .can do 100 watts instead of 20 watts on 6 meters.will let ya know more things to come......

Marion J.Green Jr (Jackie)
KG4ORX
KG4VGH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 02:20:43 PM »

Also believe the tuner has "memory"...
So if you attempt to tune a previous freq and nothing has changed...the tuner will shutdown to avoid damage...there should be a way to purge the tuner memory and start fresh....perhaps removing the battery (if it has one) and then turning it off, will reset it...check the manual...or fire an email off to Yaesu
Pete
LU5DDX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2004, 06:50:39 PM »

I need service manuals for yaesu fc-20 tanks
lu5ddx@cable10.com.ar jorge
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: