Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Variation On An Old Scam  (Read 452 times)
N2OBY

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2002, 08:48:59 PM »

I'm sure by now that many of you have received or been aware of scam emails wherein an individual, usually claiming to be a government official from an African country, try to solicit funds from you with the promise of returning the favor at a later date to include an even larger payout.  All they ask is that you forward your account information to them in order to initiate the transfer...

Well, tonight I received a new twist on this theme, whereby a supposed Russian ham needs cash to help his invalid mother, get through the cold Russian winter, etc...  I've pasted it below, so all of you can read it for yourselves.  This clown is such an idiot that even though he claims to be a ham, he doesn't include his call!  What do you expect from cybertrash like this anyway...

-Ken, N2OBY

Dear Colleague,

Please excuse me for any inconvenience caused by this message. I'm a radio amateur and have decided to appeal to you because of our hopeless situation.

My name is Valentin, I'm a student and I live with my mother and brother in the city of Kaluga, Russia. My mother is an invalid because she lost her sight. She does not see and she receives a pension very rare from the government which is not enough even for supporting our lives.

My brother is a heavy invalid too, because of the accident happened 5 years ago. A big part of his body is paralyzed. The corrupt government does not pay any pension to him and to many other Russian invalids.

During several years I take care of my mother and brother. I have a small piece of land in the forest where grow vegetables during the summer. But this summer was very hot and it was not raining, therefore all the vegetables withered.

I'm very afraid that the cold winter is setting in and I do not know what my family could eat afterwards. Several months ago I sold my radio equipment, but it did not help to keep us alive for a long time. Therefore all of us are doomed to starvation and death.

The only chance we have to survive is to use public access to the internet at our school to appeal to you directly for help. If you have any old warm clothes which you are not using anymore, as well as anything that is possible to eat, I would be more than happy if you could send it to our home address is:

Valentin Mihailin,
Ryleeva Street, 6-45
Kaluga. 248030
Russia.

If you think that it would be better to send some money, please write me back and I will give you details on the best way of sending it safely.  It is a very good way to help, because of the crisis food-stuffs in Russia are very cheap.

I pray very much for your help and I hope to hear from you soon.

Valentin and my family.
Kaluga. Russia.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2002, 12:47:44 PM »

If he promises to ship me a case of aged Russian vodka, I'll send him some stuff.

Vodka first.

WB2WIK/6
AD5IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2002, 07:08:29 AM »

Of course it probably is a scam, but it is distinctly different from the 'Nigerian' or 419 scam.

In the case of the Nigerian scam, the perpetrator has a lot of money, gold, oil, diamonds or other liquid assets they've hidden from or are frozen by, the bad ol gov't that wants to take it away from them.  All you need to do is send them some $$$ to fund their effort in getting it out of the country (via bribes, etc.) and they'll share their wealth with you.

In this case, all they guy is basically asking for is some warm clothes and/or food.  Money if you choose but that doesn't seem to be his primary purpose. And clearly unlike the Nigerian scam he's not promising anything in return, just prayer.

Assume for the moment some recipitent of that email is completely unaware of Internet scams and decides to send Valentin some warm clothes. He/she packs up a few old unused few coats, etc. that were going to be donated/thrown away anyway and sends them off to Russia. You could even do so anonymously easily enough. Even if it IS some sort of a scam, first, the sender is out nothing of any real value and secondly I don't think Valentin is going to somehow get rich selling coats, scarves & gloves on the Russian Black market.

Of course anyone should be highly suspicious of ANY email asking for something. But (and I am far from being some bleeding-heart liberal) I am somehow saddened by the fact we are SO wary & guarded that we instantly distrust any/all appeals for help. Even those that essentially cost nothing to satisfy yet might really could benefit the one asking for help.
KD7PLU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2002, 09:43:36 PM »

Have to agree with AD5IU on benefit of the doubt. Internet email or 'got a buck for gas, i just ran out down the street . . .' You can call them when they come, most of the time. I carry extra fuel in my vehicle, and on THREE different occasions I was asked this same question in a parking lot. I said 'Sure, I have extra fuel. No worries, happens to all of us. Where is your car?'  Takes care of it rather quickly because then you have no problem dealing with them with a clear and direct 'method'.

Always be willing to help out anyone, that is a man's code not just a ham's code. In the event you call someones bluff, feel perfectly just in your clear and direct re-alignment of their attitude.

Loren B. Cobb / KD7PLU
W8LM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 10:34:46 PM »

I've only been a ham for 37 years and what seems strange about the whole thing is that he never mentions his call. I've found through out the years, If a guy claimed he was a ham, his call was about the next thing out of his mouth. I've met some that claim to be a ham, but can't remember their call, or give an obvious bogus call (KCX24WWR)

My UNCLE in Poland wrote me that when his wife was sick he could not buy medicine no matter how many zloties he had, but with the American dollars we'd send in the old clothes he could buy her medicine.

My law enforcement 6th sense says...BOGUS.... but others would disagree.

However old clothing is a welcome item over there. Shipping can be expensive however. To Poland I use some of the private services available that those in the know use. I was shipping for $1.75 a pound versus over $5 per pound via the post office and that has gone up with increases.
RP666

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 02:38:58 AM »

LOL. WOW! LISTEN..I GOTTA BETTER ONE! I PUT MY TOWER PC FOR SALE HERE ON EHAM.NET, AND GET A RESPONSE FROM  A WEST AFRICAN PERSON, SAYING AN "ASSOCIATE" OF HER'S, STATE-SIDE HERE, WOULD SEND ME THE FUNDS, BUT COULD I SEND THE PC, VIA  DHL TO WEST AFRICA....THESE PEOPLE ARE ATROCIOUS..AND FUNNY..ALSO!!!! THEIR NAME IS : dorren email of : retaildoreen@yahoo.com..BEWARE THIS FOOL.

HERES THE WHOLE EMAIL:

From Dorren Taylor Wed May 21 22:29:25 2003
X-Apparently-To: harrypottersux02@yahoo.com via

HI,
 THANKS FOR THE MAIL .I'M CURRENTLY IN WEST AFRICA.WILL YOU PREFER A CASHIER'S CHECK? INORDER TO RAISE THE FUND IN U.S DOLLAR,I COULD INSTRUCT A CLIENT OF MINE IN THE STATES WHO OWES ME AN AMOUNT OF $5,400 TO ISSUE YOU A MONEY ORDER ON MY BEHALF,THEN YOU CASH THE IT & DEDUCT YOURS+ DHL SHIPPING COST & HAVE THE REST RETURN TO ME VIA MONEYGRAM TRANSFER.THIS IS THE ONLY WAY AND FASTEST WAY I CAN SEND FUNDS OUT TO YOU FOR NOW DUE TO THE LOCATION I'AM FOR NOW. PLEASE LET ME HAVE THE FULL NAME,ADDRESS AND TELEPHONE # [CELL & HOME]OF WHOM THE CHECK IS TO BE SENT TO VIA FEDEX .
MY REGARDS.

AE4TR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 02:08:23 PM »

Reminds me of an incident that happened to me several yrs ago.  A guy met me on the street, and asked if I could spare a couple of bucks for a meal?  Being the kind of person I am, (I was on the way to buy my lunch anyway) I said, "I'll do you one better, I will take you to lunch and buy your's also.  So after some muttering, he agreed to go.  I ordered my lunch and his.  When it was brought to our table, he would not eat it.  He said all he wanted was the money.  So he left and the food was wasted.  He wanted the money to buy a drink of whiskey.  Being a non drinker myself, I did not give him any money.  Lesson learned, sometimes, it's better just to say no, and mean it.
KC0KBH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 09:37:35 AM »

I have had tons of Emails on my old IBM thinkpad for sale, each of the people saying they were from london, and wanting me to cash a check from their "associate" in the US, for about $2000.  They all say that because it is coming from the US, it would be perfect.  How is it perfect to ship a 10 lb computer overseas?  And, if they really are british, then how come they have a ton of spelling errors and repeat the same fragment of a sentence over and over?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: