Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dentron 3KW tuner balun - current or voltage?  (Read 489 times)
KC8MWG

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2004, 06:15:08 AM »

I recently purchased a Dentron 160-10AT 3KW tuner on Ebay. It has an internal balun for balanced feedlines. Right now I am running a barefoot Heathkit HW-101 through it at ablout 100 watts. My antenna is 280 feet of #12 stranded copper wire strung up into a roughly square horizontal loop, and fed with #14 400-ohm ladder-line. Works pretty good. However, at next year's Dayton Hamvention I plan on looking for an amp (preferably an SB-200). I have heard that current baluns are less "lossy" than voltage baluns, and I have also heard that the ferrite-core baluns tend to overheat easily and either self-destruct or become VERY lossy.
   First, I want to know how I can tell if the internal balun on my tuner is a voltage or a current balun.
   Second, would I be able to run 1KW through it without a problem (including heavy losses)?
   And thirdly, how can I make a current balun that would be capable of withstanding 1KW or more (assuming I can make one cheaper than buying one from someplace like DX Engineering)?
HEDGEHOG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 09:07:26 PM »

I believe that you will find that the word "robust" adequately describes your new tuner.  When they made stuff that said 3K in the old days, they meant it.  If you look inside, you'll probably find silver switches and rotary coil.  You'll also probably find ceramic forms for everything, instead of fiberglass or plexiglass.  If I were you, I'd just run the thing and not worry about it.  BTW, I got the other Dentron that was on auction at the same time.  That funky handle on the rotary coil is gonna look nice next to my KWM-2A.  Still waiting on both the tuner and my call letters.  Can't wait for either!  Shocked)
KC8MWG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 05:21:02 AM »

Mine must be a newer model, then. The inductors are wound on what looks like 4 plexiglas "spacer" forms (perforated strips that keep the windings apart), and are tapped, not roller. The inductor switch is a good, heavy-duty ceramic one. It has a built-in watt meter with a switch that is supposed to make it show forward 200 watts, forward 2000 watts, and reflected 200 watts. This feature doesn't work, but that doesn't worry me since I prefer an actual SWR meter (I use a Daiwa rated up to 2KW with a cross-needle meter). It also has a switch for coax, single wire, and balanced line. The balun is enclosed in a PVC housing that is about 3 to 3-1/2 or so inches in diameter. On the front it says "Dentron Monitor Tuner", and the sticker on the back says it's a model 160-10AT 3KW, with a serial number in the 500's. Guy I bought it from said it's at least 15 years old, since that's how long he had it.
HEDGEHOG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 01:11:05 PM »

Oh, that one has a tapped coil.  The rest sounds typical.  I would bet it just has a blown diode in the power meter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: