Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just give a crook your credit card number.  (Read 381 times)
KG4YJR

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2004, 02:23:00 PM »

Two things I found out last weekend scanning the UHF bands with my VX-7R.

1. You can use a credit card in a taxi cab nowadays.

2. The cab driver calls dispatch on his radio to verify the credit card and calls out the card number, the expiration date and the three digit security code on the back on the actual card. All over non-secure airways that can be heard with any and all scanners or any wide band receiver.

My wife and I heard it done three times in one evening.

Dave
WA4MJF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 08:47:16 AM »

It sounds as if you should use one
of those one use cards that the banks
provide.  I always pay cash to cabbies,
so not a problem for me.

73 de Ronnie
KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 09:07:57 AM »

>>I always pay cash to cabbies<<

I always have too so maybe it's been around longer than I thought. It's also been many years since I've even been in a taxi. Last time was about five years ago to pick up my wife and her car at the hospital emergency room one time when she drove herself there from her workplace. If I ever had to use a credit card for a taxi, although I can't imagine the circumstances, I would give the dispatcher the cc number over the telephone when I actually place the call to request the cab.
A little thinking goes a long way.

FYI: Bennigan's (the restaurant chain) prints out your entire name and cc number on their receipts so make sure you always take it or destroy it.

Dave
WB7DCV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 03:36:34 PM »

I can't believe the numbers of people who no longer use cash for anything.  I was in the supermarket the other day and a lady in front of me used her plastic for less than three bucks worth of snack foods.  I've also seen people write checks for only a couple of dollars in stores, restaurants, and so on.  There you are, waiting behind them while they write the check or do the credit card thing, fumble for IDs, and all the rest of it.  Something doesn't seem right to me to buy your groceries with a credit card.  Anyway, these folks string their credit card information all over the place.  Oh well, maybe I'm just too old and too old-fashioned, I carry cash.  
73s
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: