Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Recommondations for a new handheld scanner..  (Read 389 times)
KDOG

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2004, 09:45:04 PM »

Don't know if this is the right forum, but I didn't see a scanner forum so here goes. Looking to get a good handheld scanner, was looking for recommendations. I read some reviews and was looking into the Radio Shack Pro 95 which got a 4.6/5 in the review section and looks reasonably priced. I had a PRO 64 a few years ago, but sold it. Also suggestions for a good vehicle antenna would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!
KC0LTV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 02:25:03 PM »

What scanner you need all depends on your interests and where you live.  

In many cities, a "conventional" analog system is used.  Any scanner will work fine for this, as long as the frequencies used are covered.  Almost all scanners cover them, anyway.  Typically 150's and 450's/460's MHz, for police, fire, emergency.  

Analog trunking has become popular in many medium-sized and large cities.  You'll need a "Trunktracker" for reception.

Digital voice trunking is making its mark.  Thankfully, many cities are using the APCO 25 standard, unencrypted.  For the scanner buyer that means that a "digital scanner" may receive the signal.  A good example of a scanner that can receive digital voice signals of that type as well as do trunking and conventional reception is the Radio Shack PRO-96.
RI126

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 06:29:18 AM »

i have two scanners. one uniden hand held, and one base/mobil if interested e-mail me at smrtn290@adelphia.net and i will give you the specifics
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: