Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestion for radio manufacterers  (Read 444 times)
KB3KYO

Ignore
« on: December 22, 2004, 05:50:39 PM »

I think we all agree that alpha tags for memory locations are a great idea.  But, wouldn't it be so much better if the display would show BOTH the frequency AND alpha tag together?  Like maybe one on top of the other.

I like the alpha tags when I'm scanning, but often my local friends will refer to repeaters by frequency, so it would be really great to have both.  Otherwise I'm having to turn off the alpha or look up the repeaters on my list.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 07:48:44 AM »

Why not program the alpha tag to include the frequency also, e.g., "SPLX 6.520"?

WB2WIK/6
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 11:07:39 AM »

Are you telling me that you have a radio that will only accept "letters" in the "alpha" tags?

You sure you cant program letters AND figures in there?

I WOULD agree that some alpha-numeric displays are a little short of characters
KB3KYO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 03:36:35 PM »

both letters and numbers- but try to fit "Jonesville 144.895" in 8 characters or less...

I suppose "Jnsv 895" would work.

Point was it'd just be nice to have two lines of display, one for the freq and one for the alpha.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2004, 11:04:35 AM »

The trick for me is fitting Jnsv 895 into 6 spaces, though "JNS895" or "JVL895" would fit.

My Yaesu FT-60 (nice HT BTW) fits 6 characters e.g. a full call "KB1LKR" or a full freq "144.895" (actually there is a little ".5" following for say "462.562.5" but, alas, toggling the .5 on in alpha mode isn't an option, if it was you could enter "JNVL89.5" too.

OTOH, w/ the FT-60 a quick push of the BAND button when in Memory mode switches the display from Alpha to Freq -- handy for freq mem challenged guys like me, so I'd enter "JNSVL", and "JNVL70" for their 70cm machine if they had both a 2m and a 70cm -- but sooner or later though I'll want to enter a machine w/ a placename (say Johnsburg) on 146.700 and "JBRG70" will be ambigious, worse if they have a 70cm machine too! Oh well.  

The issue w/ both at once I suspect is that the display would have to be quite large (think mobile sized) or the text too small for us OM's in our '40's and older, who's arms are no longer long enough to see fine print.
YEPSURE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 10:40:16 AM »

I also greatly appreciate the ability to see both the operating frequency as well as a tag or "title" of that frequency. The Kenwood TM-V7A, TM-D700A and the newest Kenwood dualband mobile (can't remember the model number, but looks just like the D700), and the TS-2000 are all capable of this feature. With the hundreds (and even thousands) of channels of today's radio's its impossible to remember what every frequency is (at least for me). And most folks program their local public safety channels among other stuff in there as well. Having both frequency AND alpha-tagging is a good idea.

Back when mobile rigs only employed 10 or so channels it was simple to know what frequency was what. Today things are very different due to new radio technology and greatly expanded channel assignments. This is a feature that really makes sense on today's amateur rigs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: