Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving to Maryland  (Read 745 times)
KD5PME

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2004, 12:18:50 PM »

I have just accepted an engineering job in Germantown, MD and will be relocating next month.

Does anyone with knowledge of the area have any suggestions of ham-friendly communities I should check into?

I plan on telling the realtor to look for a no-CCR community, however I thought some on this site might have some personal experience of the region to share.

Thanks in advance,
Dana Ferguson KD5PME
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 12:49:50 PM »

I don't have the answers you need, but Welcome To Maryland!!!

Lon
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 02:29:32 PM »

Dana, I don't live in MD and never have; but when you use local realtors, be sure to explain to them what "no CC&Rs!" actually means.  

If a realtor tells you that all properties in a given community have CC&Rs, find a different realtor.

But often times, they have absolutely no clue what properties have restrictive covenants and what ones don't, and the listings sheets are often wrong.  As someone who's bought a lot of homes, I'd advise:

-Avoid any listing that says "gate guarded."
-Avoid any listing that indicates there are HOA dues or fees to be paid.
-If you go to look at properties/homes and don't see cars parked on the street, ask why not.
-Go back to the neighborhood at nighttime to confirm that cars are parked in driveways, not all hidden in garages.

These are all 99% tipoffs that CC&Rs do indeed prevail, and to keep looking elsewhere.

WB2WIK/6
KA3RFE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 09:02:21 AM »

I live in Maryland. I just listed some property (and I'm not advertising it here) and the listing agent gave me a whoe bunch of forms to fill out. One of them regarded HOA/CC&R existing with the property. Yes, there are those things in this community.

I did not ask at the time and don't know if this was somethng the agent needed to know by law or if it was just to let him know in case people asked.

I will try to remember to ask the agent next time I talk to him.

73, Pete KA3RFE
KD5PME

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 10:06:52 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. I am looking forward to living in MD.

Steve, good suggestions. I will keep those in mind.

I browsed the AntennaRestrictions forum and found a website listed for ham homes: www.homes4hams.com where there are a few realtors listed in the area who are ham operators. I am going to check them out.

Thanks,
Dana
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 06:31:30 PM »

When you sign the contract, be sure to make them add a clause that states it is contingent on there being no restictions on amateur radio antennas under 100 feet in height (or whatever you are willing to live with) other than FCC regulations. This gives you time to check it out or have a lawyer check it out for you. Watch out for city or county regulations as well as dead restrictions. PRB1 may allow you to fight and win the government restrictions but it will probably cost you a bundle to win. If the goverment requires any kind of permit, find out what the requirements and fees are. Some can be rather expensive like having a professional engineer sign off on it at your expense.
WILLY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 11:43:36 AM »

I think Germantown is somewhat near Gaithersburg, MD.  Not sure though, you'd better check that on a map.

I know that 20 some odd years ago or so, that at Gaithersburg fair grounds, there was an annual hamfest.  It was huge.  I've no idea if it is still an annual event.
Using Google, looking for info on the Gaithersburg hamfest, I found a webpage for F.A.R., and I seem to remember that.  

Have a look here:  http://www.amateurradio-far.org/
and see some of the links there, to the clubs. Apparently the Foundation for Amateur Radio is spread out over a large geographic area.
I'm thinking at least one of them should be in your area, and perhaps you can get in touch with them via email.  Once you make contact with some locals, you should be able to get the help you need.

Also try this:  http://www.marcclub.org/    , as this club might be in the right area.

I hope this helps.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 01:34:14 PM »

Dana, as you likely know, there's a lot more to CC&Rs than just ham radio antenna restrictions.

If conformity drives you nuts as it does many (including me!), you want to stay as far away from "conforming" properties as you possibly can.

Having bought a lot of houses over the years, at this point I can "smell" a CC&R neighborhood.  I don't like the smell, and will never buy in one.  Smiley

WB2WIK/6
KD5PME

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 09:15:54 AM »

I appreciate the replies.

Germantown is very close to Gaithersburg. I will check out the events. Thanks.

Steve, I agree with you about restrictions. I am moving from an HOA home and will never do that again! I feel like I have living with handcuffs on for 4 years.

Dana
KB3JVI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 07:58:53 PM »

Contact the Montgomery County Amateur Radio Club on the 146.955 repeater.
KC5CQD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 06:51:30 PM »

Back in 1984-85 I lived in Laurel and Columbia, MD.  Wasn't a ham at the time but was an avid CB'er and never had any problems with my antennae.  Of course, I was quite young and broke and tended to live in the "trashier" areas.  hihi!  Good luck to you.  The urban world has become quite impatient with us "radio geeks".  

Jess
KC5CQD
KD5PME

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »

Thanks to all who replied.

I made it to MD just fine, though I am finding the housing prices to be quite a shock.

We have decided to rent a small place for a while to get used to the area. I will sure refer to your suggestions when the time comes to buy a place.

Dana
MYHOMEFINDER

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 08:54:54 PM »

Hi,
I live in MD and I am a Realtor. The forms that one fellow was asked to fill out are called disclosures. Most Realtors go over them with clients. All rules and regs pertaining to property must be disclosed prior to any contract being ratified. A good agent will make sure you see homes that fit your needs. I just thought you should know.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: