Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Helping others?  (Read 432 times)
KC9EAE

Ignore
« on: January 13, 2005, 02:21:02 AM »

Why is it that quite a few times when I read a post about a non Ham possesing equipment and ask's a question about it, Instead of giving the person some information for getting the required license or general good advice. I always see the same old line, "sell it or you will go to prison, jail, siberia, etc,,,."
If everyone was like that I dont believe i would be involved in our great hobby today.
I live in the Northern Mn area and we have some good folks up here who have helped me get involved. Between just good advice to dealing with old parts and equipment.  And I know there are plenty of good folks out there willing to help. but it seems the bad ones tend to stick out a bit more.
I started out with the cb crowd. I had alot of fun there, but it was getting a bit crowded and noisy. But i look back on those days as learning experiances on radio operating and repair.

I hope people who read this and are guilty of being a little cranky on the posts will re-evaulate there responses and help us all have a good time with our hobby.

KC9EAE

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 02:01:41 PM »

Some people are just cranky.

But others, like me, might be more "concerned."

I like to help people, whether they're licensed or not.  But if not, the inquirer should tell us more, like, "This is Joe in Missoula, MT.  I'm interested in doing X for reason Y.  Can you help me?"

That would be a great inquiry.  Unfortunately, the majority of inquiries that meet with "cranky" responses aren't written like that.

For Joe in Missoula, usually the very first thing I'd do is look up a ham radio club in the Missoula area and try to hook Joe up with that club, so he can meet some local hams and get "hands on" Elmering locally, rather than "hands off" from the internet.  That is a much better approach, especially if we're trying to groom more hams.

I'd encourage anyone without a callsign to use this approach.  You'll get much friendlier, more helpful replies.

WB2WIK/6
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 02:21:16 PM »

<< I always see the same old line, "sell it or you will go to prison, jail, siberia, etc,,,." >>

Well, let's take a look at this statement - This statement is just so much BS.

I don't ever remember any such statement. I remember people being told using the equipment thay are referring to is not legal. for one reason or another - and the reason is usually spelled out. I don't remember anyone being told they will go to prison or jail. I remember people being told to get rid of the filterless CB amps that they want to put on ham frequencies or to use them for parts for a real amp.

<< Instead of giving the person some information for getting the required license or general good advice. >>

Because most of the time they are NOT asking about licensing. They are asking about putting converted ham gerar on commercial, LE or emergency frequencies.

Many of these post that you don't like the responses to are from people who are knowingly and willingly wanting to do something that isn't lawful. Do you really expect them to get assistance here? Even many of those those who ask in ignorance, when told "you can't do that" then start making excuse why the rules don't or shouldn't apply to them.

It is very rare to have someone say, "I didn't know that, thanks". Most of the time it's "it's none of your business, tell me anyway." I've even had posted tell me "I know it's illegal, but I want to do it anyway."

Well, I won't do that and neither will the majority of the hams here. Posters who ask politely get polite responses the vast majority of the time.  Posters ( especially those with no call,  no name or anything else,) who act like jerks generally get treated that way.

I've never sunscribed to the "can't we all just get along" politically correct nonsense. Sometimes it is necessary to be a little blunt and truthful, even if someone's feelings get a little bruised.

Lon

KC9EAE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 03:24:31 PM »

"RE: Siltronix 1011c  Reply  
by WA4PTZ on March 23, 2003  Mail this to a friend!  
TBENDER,
Put an ad in your local newspaper and sell the 1011C
before you get into Federal Prison. Set the price
at $300.00 and dicker. This is really serious and you
don't have a clue. With all the terrorist and war
as the federal priority you will be in deep doo-doo
if you attempt to use this radio without the proper
licensing. Please take my advise."  

There is one example.

I do understand where you are coming from. I
m sure there are a few "cb'rs" that browse the ham board to try and get some info.
And also about the putting CB amps on 10 meters. If your implying about my inquiry in another msg forum. I Will not be using these until they can be made to operate cleanly with filtering. Or i will use them for parts. I am unfamiliar with tube amplifiers in the rf spectrum and just was asking for info. I am glad that I was able to get a response from a member saying "why" I should not use the amps. not just a "toss it in the trash" response.

KC9EAE
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 08:14:20 PM »

<< by WA4PTZ on March 23, 2003 Mail this to a friend! >>

You are griping about something that happened TWO YEARS AGO?

I'll pass on any further comment. You wouldn't like what I would say.

Lon
KC9EAE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 08:47:17 PM »

was just a example to demonstrate my point.
But thats ok.I dont mean to get ya worked up.
I will leave it at that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: