Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PCMCIA TNC Modem?  (Read 518 times)
KD7WPQ

Ignore
« on: December 18, 2004, 12:53:30 AM »

Are there any PCMCIA modems out there I can use on a laptop?

I'd like to be able to use my TH-F6A to do some packeting while mobile or sitting somewhere.

Any ideas?
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 03:09:54 PM »

hi patrick,

MixW can do packet without the tnc.

You just need to interface the pc to the radio
using the sound card.

http://www.mixw.net/

73 james
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 10:13:38 PM »

Your question is a bit confusing.  There certainly are PCMCIA Card "modems," but a standard modem will not function as a TNC, and I have never seen a PCMCIA Card TNC.
    Your options would seem to be a standard TNC run off the RS-232 (serial) port of the laptop, or run software that emulates a TNC, as stated above.
    Good luck.
KD7WPQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 06:49:31 PM »

Well you see the big problem now days is that most laptops don't come with serial ports anymore, so I was asking if maybe there's a PCMCIA TNC card out there instead of the Serial or even USB being that a PCMCIA card would be more convinient and less hassle.

Though the USB is fine but USB to serial is not. I have not experienced this for myself but I have heard from other hams that the USB to serial adaptors do not work in some or even a lot of cases being that the programs that were being used have to be able to access the device from within DOS compatibility mode and not all systems offer USB legacy and even if it does then you still need a driver to tell that DOS program how to talk to the serial port at the end of the USB device.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 08:29:53 AM »

Pat,
    I've never seen a PC Card (PCMCIA) TNC.  But if your laptop has USB and no REAL serial port (GRIN) it's powerful enough to run the software-based TNC's for packet.  (Though keying the transmitter may still be a trick!)  As you have heard, some USB to RS-232 adaptors work and some don't.  USB is nice when it works, with software designed specifically for it, but it isn't perfect.  Maybe the software programs will eventually be rewritten to use USB, at least as an option.  Good luck!
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 02:39:20 PM »

hi patrick,

you don't need a comm port if you use the
signalink from tigertronics

http://www.tigertronics.com/signalnk.htm

When used with Mixw, no tnc is necessary.

73 james
WB7DCV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 05:31:12 PM »

Don't know about modems, however, PCMCIA stands for PERSONAL COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS COMMITTEE for IDIOT ACRONYMS.  A lot of of us have had to virtually learn a new language just keeping up with all the acronyms of the computer and modern age.  Makes my old gray head hurt.  73s Laurence
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: