Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Headset connected to IC-706MK2G (not)  (Read 411 times)
WD4JZO

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2005, 07:45:11 AM »

I have an IC-706MK2G. I bought a HEIL BM-5ic headset for it along with the presumed proper cable. I also bought a HEIL hand switch (HS-2) well, I still don't have it connected. I emailed ICOM support and wound up buying another cable that they said I needed (AC-1m)and it would work. It doesn't.Can someone tell me how to hook up the headset and hand switch to my 706MK2G?
The hand switch has a 1/4"plug the headset has both 1/4" and a 1/8" plugs. Their is nothing in the ICOM manual or the HEIL insert that shows the proper hookup.
Thanks to all who reply.
73,Jim-WD4JZO
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 09:39:37 AM »

Jim,

The 1/4" plug from the headest is the headphones connector. It plugs into the headhone jack on the rig (note, a 1/4" > 1/8" adapter may be required).

The 1/8" plug from the headset is the mic connector. It plugs into the 1/8" jack on the Heil adapter cable.

The 1/4" plug from the hand/foot switch plugs into the 1/4" connector on the Heil adapter cable.

An email to Heil should have gotten you this information by return.

Lon
WD4JZO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 11:26:39 AM »

Lon,
Thanks for your quick reply and correct info. Maybe if I had been a little more observant and not get so upset I would have figured it out. Now I just have to get another 1/4"-1/8" adapter since I do get a hum in the earphone with the one I found in my bag of connectors.Otherwise it works as advertized. Thanks again.
73,Jim
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 07:26:49 PM »

Jim,

Ground loops are easy to get if the connectors touch each other or the rig chassis. I found this out the hard way.

Separate the connectors from each other and see if the hum disappears.

Enjoy the headset. I use a ProSet on my TS-570 at home and a BM-10 on my Alinco DX-70 portable rig.

Lon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: