Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Antenna for apartment operation  (Read 602 times)
KI3Y

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2005, 09:03:05 PM »

Situation: We would like to help a vision-handicapped ham be able to operate out of his apartment on HF. He has no balcony and is not allowed to hang anything out his windows. He has an IC746 an Outbacker Perth and a number of Hamsticks. As per the Outbacker instructions, I have tried putting two 20 ft counterpose wires connected to the ground socket of the Perth but the SWR is too high on 20, 15 and 10. Tried a 20 meter Hamstick with the same counterpose but no dice. Question: Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? Are we wasting our time trying to use the moblie type antennas? Could you recommend some other method of helping this Ham get on 20, 17, 15, etc. Appreciate any help... 73, Tom KI3Y
WA9FZB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 06:12:35 AM »

My experience is limited to my present antenna, but some of what I've found may apply.  I am using two 40 meter HamSticks installed in the Lakeview Products' dipole adaptor.  I don't think the adaptor is "magic" -- it is just an easy way to construct a dipole of two identical mobile whips.  This application works about as well as a mobile install would. . . I do make contacts but can't break the big pileups.  My antenna is outdoors, but only up about 5 feet in the yard.  In the past month, I've worked about 20+ states on 40 CW.

It is possible that the counterpoise you've tried isn't really a "match" to the mobile whip radiator.  It is also possible that the connections weren't right.  The way mine is wired, one of the whips connects to the center of the coax, the other to the shield.  I also use a simple tuner (old MFJ 900) to increase the bandwidth, as the mobile whips are notoriously narrow in that respect.

We have a local who has also used a HamStick dipole indoors -- works, maybe similar to mine.  Give it a try, but you may need to use two similar mobile whips to "balance" the antenna.

Of course, free advice is worth what we pay for it. . .

73 es good luck
Steve   WA9FZB
KI3Y

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 06:57:25 AM »

Thanks Steve, really appreciate the advice, free or otherwise. The double Hamsticks could be the only way to go if the Outbacker or single Hamstick doesn't work. Also heard of the MFJ Loop tuner mounted on an outside wall, but know little about it. 73, Tom KI3Y
WD4JZO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 01:16:44 PM »

Hi Tom,
Go to www.bwantennas.com and check out their
model AP-10B portable HF antenna. 40-10 cont. + 6 & 2.
It clamps to a window or chair or whatever and when you're done just unclamp it until next time. I will be trying it out next week although I know already that it works on 2 mtrs. It is only about 3'long total with a big coil. Good luck.
73, Jim
KI3Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 03:02:33 PM »

Jim,

Thanks for the input will check out that antenna for sure. Appreciate it.

73,  Tom,  KI3Y
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 11:12:40 PM »

It seems this type of antenna should work as a base antenna if a resonant counterpoise (1/4 wave) is connected to the coax braid where it connects to the magnet mount. This would make the antenna a vertical dipole assuming the magnet mount doesn't interfere with the resonance. I might try this myself sometime. Anyone think this will work?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: