Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF Radios for Missionaries?  (Read 488 times)
W3RB

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2005, 05:47:36 PM »

Hello,

I am working with some missionaries in Honduras who do not have access to reliable telephone communication.  We have a total of 11 sites for which we would like HF radios, and have receive donations of 3 radios so far (big thanks to "Blessings for Obedience" [BFO] for those donations!).

Does anyone here know of any other sources of good, used HF equipment for missionaries (or, for that matter, have any you might like to donate)?  Please let me know.  I will be back in the States around the end of May or beginning of June, and will be able to carry some equipment with me when I return to Honduras.  Any help, whether equipment or information, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
KI4FVG
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 07:08:42 AM »

Perhaps some questions could be answered

Assume SSB
      Bands preferred
      Battery only
      AC only
      AC/DC
      Type enviorment,
       etc

Thanks , this added info may help ,

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 08:10:43 AM »

Not to throw cold water on the project, as it is a good one and missionaries in many countries use HF as their normal means of communications, but ...

Do these folks plan to get licenses for their operations? Licenses are required, even in Honduras, for operation on amateur bands. If not in the amateur bands, where. I am unaware that Honduras tolerates unlicensed, pirate stations.

There are already groups in the States doing this. A Google search should turn up the information.

Lon
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 11:14:01 AM »

http://www.radioministries.org/
W3RB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 04:25:38 PM »

We are just getting set up with the three radios we have, so we haven't found which band works best yet.

Since the electricity in these areas is not very reliable, either, we would use a battery/charger combination.  Fortunately, that actually is more economical down here, as well.
W3RB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 04:32:35 PM »

We are training Hondurans, in each location, to get their Honduran licenses.  The requirements for a Honduran to get a Honduran license are remarkably minimal, so it's better than trying to get licenses for additional gringos.
W3RB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 04:36:14 PM »

AA4PB,

Thanks for the URL.  I discovered them just after I posted my original message, and have already had some email communication with them.  Thanks again, though, because someone else may have the same questions I do, and may not have found that organization yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: