Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-520 tune-up troubles  (Read 415 times)
AA0UT

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2005, 05:30:56 PM »

Hi, I recently purchased a TS-520 on eBay (yes, I am a risk taker!) and I'm having difficulty tuning up.
It loads smoothly on 80M and pretty well on other bands, except 10M. I can get around 100W on all bands, but it is extremely unstable on 10. The meter jumps all over the place... sometimes I can only get a few watts out of it, other times full power can be coaxed out of it... but only momentarily. What might the problem be; is it something a relatively low-tech guy can fix, or is it time for a trip to a repair facility?
Thanks... Mike AA0UT
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 07:49:34 AM »

Ten can be dicey with the 520 , have you increased the carrier gain beyond the norm for the other bands ? Also due to the band being so large , the need to tweak the drive up or down becomes more glaringly noticable as you tune the dial.  ie,  if you tune up for max on 28.350 and then move to 28.5 it may need to be properly tuned again. At this point I would not be too alarmed  
     Also you probably should repost under Boatanchors or Elmers, activity in Misc is light  .
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 02:50:51 PM »

From your description I can't tell if what you're seeing is the normal "it peaks very sharply on ten meters" problem, or if it's something else.

Because 10m is the upper frequency end of the TS-520's coverage, it does lack drive on this band -- almost all of them do or did.  As a result, you have to crank the DRIVE up higher on 10m than you do on the other bands, and the tuning will seem to peak more sharply simply because there isn't a lot of drive available.

That's not a defect, that's the way the rig was.

However, if sometimes the output falls to nothing or nearly nothing and seems intermittant, you have a different problem.  Since it seems to occur only on ten meters, could be a bandswitch problem.  Dirty or worn bandswitch contacts can cause all sorts of interesting problems.  You might try rocking the bandswitch through all its positions while spraying the contacts with some contact cleaner/lubricant.

WB2WIK/6
AA0UT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 04:33:44 PM »

No, the problem doesn't seem to be merely a sharp peak, but an intermittent condition (one time it jumped when I wasn't touching any tuning controls). I wriggled the band switch within it's detent, and that seems to be where the problem lies. I'll take your advice and apply some tuner cleaner and see what happens. As an aside, it seemed to be getting a little better just from playing with it, so maybe lack of use is a factor. Thanks a million for your help!  Mike AAØUT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: