Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ic 706 price  (Read 1951 times)
K6LCS

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2005, 09:59:45 AM »

Yes - Icom placed all their dealers on a "MAP" program - that's "Minimum Advertised Pricing" program - on March 1, 2005. Dealers *knew* pricing would change - but I do not think we thought it would be as dramatic as it turned out to be on the '706: It went from $799 to $949 overnight.

This new Icom program also affected a couple HTs.

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
KE5DEX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 04:32:00 PM »

any one else notice that the prices for the ic 706miig went up to almost 1000??? i was just getting ready to buy one with my tax return... i guess ill have to wait to get on hf...
WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 06:32:00 PM »

Check this out.  May be within your budget.

http://www.hamcity.com/detail.aspx?ID=382
KI4CPM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 10:40:58 AM »

thought about the ft 857?
N2NFG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 07:48:11 PM »

Gee, I recently sold my MKIIG and was going to replace it with another as soon as my financial situation improved. I guess my plans have changed! I see lots of MKIIGs for sale now, at prices I know are more than the seller paid for the rig; thanks, ICOM. (can't blame the sellers for being handed this one; buy a radio, use it for a year or so, sell it at a profit!)Despite what other are saying, I still think ICOM raised the price so the sticker of the MKIIGs replacement will be a bit more palatable. So now I'm looking for a new toy. It won't be a 706MKIIG. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine radio. I had a lot of fun with mine in a little more than a year I owned it. But, for the new price, and subsequently inflated used prices, there are a lot of attractive options. The closest competitor, the Yaesu 857D now looks mighty good at $689.99. I've been playing with a friend's 897D, I REALLY like this radio and it's slightly larger size. At $869.99, still quite a bit less than the MKIIG. Might be time I tried a Yeasu radio, I was very happy with the Fl2100B amp I had. What about Kenwood? The 480SAT looks good at $939.00. Yep, it's only eleven bucks cheaper, but comes with a built in ATU, and ham city is throwing in a free Heil microphone. (the 480HX is $1034.99 with the free Heil Mic.) The Kenwood rigs only cover 160-6 meters, but in over a year, I never used the MKIIG above 6 meters, so these rigs are very much in the race. I quoted these prices from ham city, Giga Parts is a tad higher EXCEPT on the MKIIG...same price both places, $949.99. Hmmmm....decisions, decisions. 73, Bob
WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 06:33:04 AM »

I've been following the 706 sales on eBay.  I didn't realize they are selling used at a premium.  They appear to come and go without a frenzy of bidding that marks something that is under valued and there are always a number for sale.

It concerns me somewhat that everything seems to be increasing in price.  I'm old enough to remember the inflation of the 70's and 80's that was driven by high oil and devalued mone.

You'd think Icom would be in a "brand re-building" mode after the poor quality and bad design of the 703.  Guess not.

I too am looking at the FT857.  Since the 706 price is up so much, I think they have helped me make my decision too.
N6VQQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 11:50:33 PM »

That type of price increase has really put a crimp on my thoughts of buying another 706.
Yes it may be a good radio, but as far as Icom showing the Ham Community at large that they want their business, I think they're trying to "give us the business" if you know what I mean.
  Oh well, looks like I become an Yaesu owner.
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 11:33:32 PM »

Yen/dollar erosion, shipping costs up, oil prices up all affect cost of this stuff sooner or later. As replacement stock comes into the states, prices of most of this stuff will increase.

Pete, wa2cwa
KB2CPW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 12:04:27 PM »

Yen,dollar erosion,spilled milk...

Thats alot of crap as the Japanese market would have climbed as a whole.. There are rigs out there that didnt change in price one bit but in fact got cheaper..

Let Icom keep all of their remaining 706's for that price and the line of crap they handed everyone.. If they want to sell any of these remaining radios, show them you mean business by not buying one until the price comes down..

I doubt the Yen or any other reason drove this radio up 200 bucks... Another thing I cant believe is how everyone frets over it, there are much better offerings from Kenwood and Yaesu anyway.. How you spend your money is your business, but show them you MEAN business and let this mediocre radio sit on the dealer shelves until Icom wises up and develops some respect for its customers...

Buy a radio that is actually a value at that price (or less)I have two FT 857's that I wouldnt trade for that turkey anyway.. IMHO... Regards.. Richy N2ZD
N5JYZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 12:29:39 PM »

I have owned 3 706's and sold all three. They are deaf, they have a lousy noise blanker and the sound like crap. I havent found an Icom yet that compares to a Ten Tec or a Yaesu.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 08:21:43 PM »

Which begs the question, "Why did you own three?
I have had all in the series and enjoy using them. If TenTec made a model the same size as the 706 with the same bands and coverages, I would have a TenTec tomoroow.
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: