Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icom 706 MK II G -- Out of band transmit  (Read 2366 times)
WA4PUF

Ignore
« on: April 13, 2005, 05:46:28 PM »

Just recently bought a new 706 and find that the band edge beeps occur as much as 300 khz beyond band egde or not at all and using a dummy load have found that it will transmit out of band as well. Is this normal or is there a real problem or maybe even a fix.  Surely this is not the quality one should now expect from Icom.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 07:02:59 AM »

It has been modified!

I have my doubts that the radio is new. I have never heard of a new rig operating outside the ham bands from the factory - at least not any modern rigs.

If you bought it from one of the reputable dealers, I would notify them immediately. If from an individual, then that person lied to you as to the rig's true condition.

While the rig probably works ok, unless you hold a MARS license, the out-of-band capability is rather useless to you.

Lon
WA4PUF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 11:36:17 AM »

I neglected to mention that the radio was purchased 3/25/05 from Gigaparts and their sales clerk claims to have spoken with Icom and was told the radio was in specs., he also claims to have been told that it was the users responsibility to not transmit out of band.  He says he was told the band edge beeps were just a courtsey thing.

Smitty   WA4PUF
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 11:46:25 AM »

Smitty,

Then the sales clerk is, in my opinion, lying through his teeth! No way Icom is going to ship amateur radios that transmit out of band from the factory. The FCC would shut them down in a flash for not complying with the type acceptance rules. It simply doesn't happen!

The guy sold you a used radio as new, plain and simple!

I would be on the phone with the OWNER of GigaParts right now, complaining very loudly about this.

Lon
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 12:13:31 PM »

Before you get carried away, check what the manual says.
Many radios will transmit past the band edges to some
extent: for example, 14.0 to 14.5

The real test, though, is to try transmitting on 27 MHz.
If it allows that, you have good reason to complain.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 01:50:36 PM »

>RE: Icom 706 MK II G -- Out of band transmit  Reply  
by WB6BYU on April 14, 2005  Mail this to a friend!  
Before you get carried away, check what the manual says.
Many radios will transmit past the band edges to some
extent: for example, 14.0 to 14.5

The real test, though, is to try transmitting on 27 MHz.
If it allows that, you have good reason to complain.<  

I agree with Dale 100%.

My TS-850S, purchased brand new from HRO, transmits well beyond the band edges on pretty much all bands.  Per the manual, it's supposed to.

There is *no* "type acceptance" of amateur radio equipment.  What there is, for commercially made amateur equipment, is a certification requirement by FCC (or ATCB).  Testing whether amateur equipment can transmit beyond band edges isn't part of that.  They do test harmonic and spurious outputs, emission bandwidths and other things that the amateur operator would normally have no way to test, or that are deemed beyond operator control.

Operating frequency is well within operator control.

Awareness of operator license privileges, for example, is left completely to the operator.  A Tech (or an unlicensed person, too!) can buy an HF rig, he's just not supposed to transmit with it.

WB2WIK/6

KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 05:43:59 PM »

I bought my 706-MKIIg in 1999, shortly after they first came out and it definitely does transmit outside of many of the bands.  It will not transmit on 27 mHz, but will transmit well outside many of the bands, especially the WARC bands.  I agree, it is the operator's responsibility to keep it between the "telephone poles" and stay legal.

Tom, KR4BD
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 05:40:30 AM »

Mine also does to a small extent (not 27MHz).  I am the original owner of the rig.

Mike
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 07:30:45 AM »

Then this must be something unique to Icom rigs.

Both my Alinco DX-70s, my Kenwood TS-570 and my old Kenwood TS-430 all stopped dead at the band edge before modification. The same for the Yeasu FT-920 my buddy has.

And yes, both of us are MARS operators.

Lon

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 10:45:10 AM »

>RE: Icom 706 MK II G -- Out of band transmit  Reply  
by N3ZKP on April 15, 2005  Mail this to a friend!  
Then this must be something unique to Icom rigs.

Both my Alinco DX-70s, my Kenwood TS-570 and my old Kenwood TS-430 all stopped dead at the band edge before modification. The same for the Yeasu FT-920 my buddy has.<

Not unique to Icom rigs.  Going back in history, to a time when frequency accuracy wasn't nearly as good as it is with today's equipment, virtually all ham gear could transmit far outside the ham bands.  The Collins S-line, designed in the late 1950s and sold through about 1980, transmitted in 200 kHz segments, anywhere you happened to dial it.  If 40m ended at 7.3, the rig could transmit to 7.4, because that's where the dial stopped.  Same with all other older gear.  

And, same with crystal-controlled rigs!  The TX frequency is based on the crystal you, the operator, happens to plug in.  If it's out of band, that's your fault.  Nothing in the rig to stop it from happening.

My Drake TR-7 transmits anywhere between 1.5 and 29.999 MHz, no modification required.

My much newer Kenwood TS-850S transmits well outside the ham bands, although eventually a relay clicks and shuts the TX function down.  But that happens at increments of .000 or .500; so, on 40m, it can transmit to 7.499.9 MHz, for example.  It's supposed to be that way, no mod required.

WB2WIK/6

K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 04:08:36 PM »

It's normal.

The 706MKIIG transmits 'out of band' on several of the amateur freq ranges.  For instance, it transmits from 3.5-4.1 MHZ and 7.0-7.5 MHZ.

Go to ARRL.ORG and read the review and expanded test report on the rig.  It will have all the data there.

Don't worry, you have a great rig, and there is nothing wrong.

Dwight K3WVU
KC0ILV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 08:10:33 PM »

I modified my 706 MkIIg to transmit outside of band (or further outside from what this thread says), I use it on GMRS frequencies (I do hold a GMRS license) because it is easier then having both a gmrs and ham trancever in the truck, and it works nicely through a duelband antenna.

I do know that it does not work on 27 Mhz, even after mods.

K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 10:59:48 PM »

Many manufacturers allow overshoot on the band edges to accomodate use on MARS nets.

As long as you know about it, don't worry about it.  Just operate within your license privliges.

73, Jim/k7unz
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 04:35:03 AM »

KC0ILV writes on April 15, 2005:

I modified my 706 MkIIg to transmit outside of band (or further outside from what this thread says), I use it on GMRS frequencies (I do hold a GMRS license) because it is easier then having both a gmrs and ham trancever in the truck, and it works nicely through a duelband antenna.

I do know that it does not work on 27 Mhz, even after mods.

==============

Maybe I am dense but, I though GMRS REQUIRED type accepted equipment.  A modded 706 is still Amateur equipment and, by definition, NOT type accepted.

Dennis KG4RUL
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 08:54:35 AM »

""" I use it on GMRS frequencies (I do hold a GMRS license"""

KC0ILV, turn in your ham and GMRS license immediately.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: