Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Washed my Hands  (Read 1818 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2004, 04:13:58 PM »

So you've solved your problem by selling your radio and hanging around the e-ham forum?
JUSTASWLER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 12:15:23 PM »

Well, sold my radio and decided against the hobby of Amateur Radio. It seems there are quite a few problems within the hobby but I really started noticing a common peronality type in the hobby which I have observed as: Male, 50+ Years, Eager to 'Prove' what he knows (And he often KNOWS it ALL), lacking any kind of tact or social skills, dug in deeper than my bird dog after a Rabbit. I drop by the local Ham shop, he is there. I call AES, he answers the phone. I call Univeral Radio, He answers the phone again..Associated Radio, Yep, there he is again. HRO...yep you guessed it. This does seem to be an American Ham phenomena; where it originated, I have no idea

I would have to be around Amateurs to learn anything about the Hobby and quite frankly, I'd rather get a root canal then be around this so common personality type

DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 02:33:18 PM »

Or...it could just be you.

Have a nice day.
JUSTASWLER

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2004, 04:04:03 PM »

If it were Hams worldwide, it would be me. As this personality type seems to be associated with American operators, I think it's them. Anyone who is not "one of them" knows exactly what mentality I am talking about
JUSTASWLER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 02:33:36 PM »

I love Radio and always have since that first little radio when I was 6 years old. I can learn a lot on a website like this. I just can't deal with the mentality in person
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2004, 09:25:21 PM »

After reading your postings to a couple of the articles, I make the following three observations:

1. I bet your total ham radio experience is less than one year.
2. I bet you are are under the age of 18
3. You remind me of the lady who watched her son march down the street and said "Look! Everyone's out of step except my Johnny!"

If the first two are incorrect, you certainly give a good impression that they are. Smiley

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 12:03:49 PM »

If you don't want opinions from "know it alls" with years of experience in ham radio then don't ask any questions. I'm sure if you simply call a dealer and ask them to ship you a certain item then thats what they will do. Now if you start asking them a bunch of questions you are going to get information - often times opinions based on their personal experiences. Some of it may be correct and some of it may be wrong.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 04:41:08 AM »

I find it interesting that you feel the need to come on eHam and "announce" your decision to abandon the hobby that you never joined.  Sounds to me like you are guilty of the same syndrome that you somewhat vaguely ascribe to others, a need to feel superior.  It's probably difficult to feed that need when you are constantly interacting with individuals who actually know considerably more than you.  How dare they!

Funny, I have dealt with salepeople from nearly all of the businesses you name and found them to be courteous, knowledgable and helpful.  What were you hoping, that they would be terminally stupid so you could impress them with how smart YOU are?  Unfortunately for salespeople, they tend to be a captive audience who get subjected to the drudgery of dealing with pompous assholes on a daily basis.  It doesn't take to long to develop a 6th sense for head-up-the-butt syndrome.  When I was in sales, I didn't have much patience with idiots of your ilk either.  I certainly had better things to do than attempt to stroke the egos of self-important, self-indulgent social misfits.

What do you hope to gain by announcing your decision here, that someone will beg you to reconsider? Don't hold your breath or your new CB handle will be "Blue Boy."  Why don't you just make good on your stated intentions and go away.  Not only will you be much happier, so will everyone that patronizes eHam.
WA1GJF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2004, 09:18:18 AM »

Wow!  I'm over 50, don't know it all, and can prove it, and do not work in the industry. I can say with 35 years in sales, that most blanket condemnations of people are as a result of the individual.  "If no one measures up, it is time to check your ruler." Wish I'd made that up, but I learned it.
K5UJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 07:00:30 PM »

I am looking forward to turning 50 in 3 years so I can know everything too.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 08:31:39 PM »

I'm 61 and my grandchildren are the ones who know it all! Smiley
W0MT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2004, 09:00:33 PM »

I tend to agree with the original post that Ham radio seems to have too many "Know-It-All" individuals. Maybe not in total numbers but how many does it take to make life unpleasant?

Case in point, go back a few posts and notice how one reply tries to tell us the age and lack of Ham experience of the original poster. It appears that this is based on pure conjecture and attacks the messenger rather than the message. In fact, most of the replies here attack the messenger rather than discussing the message. Unless that poster has direct knowledge about the age and experience, this seems to me to be just one more example of a Know-It-All.

I do disagree with solution chosen by the original poster. I think Ham radio occupies enough space for anyone to find a place where they can enjoy the hobby.

Just my 2c worth.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 03:17:54 PM »

No, it wasn't a personal attack of any kind.

It was my personal opinion based on the tone of the original post, reading several responses from this individual to articles on eHam, and over 40 years experience dealing with human relations problems.

I have run across more than one person like this in my years. If that makes me one of the "know it alls" then so be it.
It is also that I don't like anonymous posters. If one doesn't have the courage to put one's real name to a post, then the motivies are, in my mind, suspect.
W0MT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2004, 05:36:27 PM »

We do agree on one thing–an anonymous poster who claims to have a license is suspicious. The originator of this thread does have a name. The only licensed Ham I can locate with the same name holds an extra class license and is 58 years old. He holds the license as HA (regular service rather than HV (vanity service). I think this means he has been an amateur for a long time. If this is one and the same, it appears to blow all of your experience out of the water.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2004, 01:41:10 PM »

If you read this guy's latest article response, he says he DOESN'T have a license - he bought a radio first and then decided not to get a license, for all the reasons in his original post here.

With his attutide, I think he made a wise decision.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: