Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco EDC-49 slow charger & NiMH batteries?  (Read 689 times)
DMOORE

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2005, 07:16:11 PM »

Does anyone have any NiMH battery experience with and/or specific technical info. regarding the Alinco EDC-49 charger?

I own one, but I can't find info. on the unit and I was considering the new higher capacity NiMH (12v--1000mAh) packs to replace the NiCd EBP-22. Some NiCd chargers can charge NiMH, but I don't want to cut
open my charger to determine its components, nor do I have a schematic for it anyhow...

I have sent requests for information to Alinco, but am still awaiting reply.

Thanks for any help that folks may be able to offer!

Dave Moore -- KB3IEC
W7YBV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 10:09:49 AM »

Hi Dave.  I had a simular problem and contacted a company who makes/sells NIMH and they stated that it is ok to charge NIMH with a NICAD charger. I have been doing the charging with the NICAD charget since his reply and have had no problem at all.
73 Gene
DMOORE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 08:19:27 PM »

Thanks for the reply Gene.  I had read some articles that said that you could charge NiMH with SLOW NiCd chargers... However, one article stated that FAST chargers should not be utilized since over-heating of NiMH is a particular problem and there may not be sufficient heat control circuitry with the NiCd charger.  I don't know how accurate that is...  

How has your charging times changed?  How long have you had to charge?  

Anyhow, thanks again.

73's

Dave Moore -- KB3IEC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: