Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Racism on the airwaves?  (Read 734 times)
KC4APP

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2005, 01:58:58 PM »

I'm down in Atlanta for business this week and was listening in on some repeater action during lunch today.  On one conversation in particular, I heard a very disturbing discussion between two operators talking about  a lady in the car behind one of them.  He made comments about the changed 'demographic down here' and after saying that it looked like a chimpanzee driving a car he proceeded to say that we was slowing down to 15 MPH to see 'how she likes that'... The other operator responded that 'that was the way to handle it' and remarked to not let her hit him since 'they ain't got no insurance anyway'.

I was completely shocked and dumbfounded.  I completely respect and honor these guys' right to free speech, but, as the saying goes, having the right to say something doesn't mean you should say it.  I should say that I did catch the conversation at it's end so I did not hear the complete discussion.

I lived in Atlanta for eight years, so I know there are alot of good Hams down here.  But this sort of talk on the airwaves does nothing to promote the goodwill that Amateur Radio prides itself on.

Mike

KC4APP
WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 05:17:45 PM »

I don't think you should be alarmed.

Hams are not saints nor are they demons.  Ham Radio is not exempt from demographics. There is always a percentage of the population who behaves in the manner you witnessed.  It could have easily have been a cell phone conversation you were listening in on or two people talking next to you on a bus.

There's no more wrong with Atlanta then there is with LA, Chicago or Omaha.

The USA is vastly more tolerant than it was 40 years ago.  It'll be better yet in 40 more years.

My opinions.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 04:26:37 PM »

(sigh)... That.. is why we call Two Meters [or any handy talkie band]...  The Band that killed Ham Radio.....
KE6PKJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 11:30:22 AM »

Like 75M is a paragon of virtue and morals.
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 01:09:15 PM »

Uh-Huh..... 2 m and 75/40 m(ssb) ... the septic tank and the drain field.  I can't remember which is which....
KE4VBG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 08:15:30 PM »

To me, this is what you get for lowering the standards for aquiring a Ham Radio license. Any average joe can memorize or get lucky on a mutiple choice test and be on the air.
I'm afraid that this will continue with the FCC making  it easier and easier to get on the air. Next thing, anyone with $20 and a mailing address can get alicense.                                              At least learning CW weeded out a lot of the people that really didn't want to put out enough effort to become a Ham. If you have to work hard to achieve a goal then you are less likely to take it for granted. Maybe I'm living in the past but the Old operators that I remember as a teenager had higher morals than the people you spoke of. I guess this world is changing every day, but I'm not sure I like the direction its taking. A lot of the Hams of today might do well to pick up a copy of an old operating guide and read it. There seems to be a lot of them on the air that have forgotten The Amateur's Code and Respect for others. A lot of the language and remarks used today reflect badly on the Ham community in general.

Doug, KE4VBG        
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 06:54:08 AM »

<< To me, this is what you get for lowering the standards for aquiring a Ham Radio license. Any average joe can memorize or get lucky on a mutiple choice test and be on the air. >.

Pure BS!!!

Ham radio is no different than the rest of society and how hard or easy it is to become a ham has nothing to do with the expressions of _opinions_ on the air.

As much as the Politically Correct crowd would love to actually control our opinions and speech, this country has not yet (thankfully) reached that point, although we are getting close.

While I do not agree with the way some opinions are expressed, hams have a right to express them, as long as they are not sexually obscene. The notion that everybody loves everybody else and will never have a derogatory opinion is also BS.

The Bible tells me I have to love everyone for Jesus' sake. Nowhere does it say I have to LIKE them, and there are lots of people I don't like. Smiley

Lon
KI4JWY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 01:33:52 PM »

"At least learning CW weeded out a lot of the people that really didn't want to put out enough effort to become a Ham. If you have to work hard to achieve a goal then you are less likely to take it for granted."

You can file that in the trash can with "I had to learn the code, so everyone should."

Last time I checked the Extra exam had 804 questions in the pool and you have to answer 50 of them on the test. If you are not dedicated to hard work you will not bother with that much study. Those who want to study will pass the written tests. I would venture to say that less than 25% of the current license holders actually use CW if a poll was taken.

CW is for those that enjoy it. Keep it that way. It should never be used to create an "elitist clique" in Amateur Radio where a minority rule the majority. Why should those who want to advance be held to some archaic standard that is just one niche in a wonderful hobby?

KI4JWY
John Cowan
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 10:19:29 AM »

I knew there was a reason why I just sold a perfectly good Icom 2 meter ht on eBay this week.  Sounds like rejects from the Citizens Band to me.

KU4UV
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 02:05:18 PM »

Actually, 2 trolls in one!  You got to make this both a racism and cw/anti-cw issue in one post!  Great job!
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2005, 08:44:48 AM »

First, Mike, THANK YOU *FOR* making a national issue out of this.  Every now and again I hear racism, sexism, religious intolerance, xenophobia, etc... on ham radio, mainly on 75 meters.  I mainly stay off that band as a result of all the nonsense that goes on.  It's been years since I heard any on 2m but that doesn't mean the band is exempt.  Most folks on 2m FM are decent, at least where I've lived.

The point, though, is that the reason this country is more tolerant than it was 40 years ago is that good people like you stood up and protested.  When something is wrong we need to say it's wrong, which is what you've done.   We need to keep making the point and keep educating people.

PC?  That's a way of dismissing people, calling them "PC".  It's used as an excuse for all sorts on intolerance.  The idea that racism is not acceptable in polite company is a *good* thing, and if that's "political correctness" well... I'm all for it.  Yes, we have free speech in this country, but there are consequences, good and bad, for everything we say and do.  There should, indeed, be consequences for that sort of nonsense on the air.

Oh, and if anyone thinks that changing test requirements has anything to do with it I offer 75 meters as proof that it does not.  Most of the worst offenders have been around for years and were licensed before the changes being derided.

Caity
K7VO/8
HFHAM2

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 09:27:33 PM »

So fricking what !

They can say what they like as long as they don't curse.

Just because you don't like what they have to say doesn't make it wrong.

Mind your own business!

And by the way, what does this have to do with ham radio?
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 09:53:13 AM »

Yes, It's a shame that in this the 21st century that
ignorance is still alive.
I hear it from time to time, but not lately. A few
years ago a fellow in 8 land used to break into our
QSO's and ask ," Why do all you fours and fives
talk like Ni**ers ? "  I guess he didn't speak
southern.
73 - Tim

Pages: [1]   Go Up