Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Formatting Hard Drive C: & erasing Windows XP?  (Read 1074 times)
KB0KOQ

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2002, 05:48:06 PM »

I'm trying to Format my C: hard drive from the Dox Commant Prompt of Windows XP.   I come up with DOCUMENTS and SETTINGS FAMILY  and when I type "Format C:" its says  "Volume is in Use" and that is the end of the story.  Do I need Dynamite? or a sledge hammer maybe?
KE6BGH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2002, 09:16:39 PM »

Since I assume you will be replacing the WinXP with another operating system, make sure you have a boot floppy disk for that system and use it to start the computer, if you are sure you need to completely flush your hard drive.

WinXP doesn't really have DOS prompts the way earlier Window did.  They were basically a user interface that ran over DOS.  In WinXP what you get is a DOS emulator window.

You might also try going to Windows Explorer and deleting as much as you can.  This takes some time and is not the preferred method.

Either way, once you get the Windows directory and root directory deleted, you should be able to start installing a new OS.

Good luck!

Dave
KE6BGH
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2002, 01:18:37 AM »

The formatting can't be done while you are using the "C" drive and you are always using the "C" drive as long as you boot up to it. Boot up to your "A" drive and then try to format the "C" drive. It will erase all you have on it including the Windows operating system. Once you reformat the "C" drive you can then turn the computer off and put a CD of the operating system you want to load in the CD Rom drive and power up the computer. It should boot to the CD Rom drive and then you can load the new operating system to the "C" drive. Once loaded, the computer should boot up to the new operating system on the "C" drive. Be sure to back up all the stuff you currently have on the "C" drive BEFORE you do the reformatting since it will be overwritten when the disk is reformatted. The alternative may also be to boot up to the CD Rom drive with the operating sytem you want to replace the Windows. It may allow you to format the "C" drive but I doubt it. If you are going to install Linux, it will load and operate in the same system with Windows but you have to install it in a segment of it's own and then you can call it up after the computer boots to the Windows system. It ain't easy but I am told that will work okay. Good luck.
Frank
KL7IPV
AB0TJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 06:28:26 PM »

If you have XP installed on an NTFS partition, you will most likely have to re-partition it into something like FAT32 before you put on another operating system. It depends on what you want to install. Also most install programs for operating systems will give you the option of formatting the hard drive. There are too many variables to give you a precise answer.

73 and good luck,
Alex AB0TJ
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2002, 09:56:07 PM »

Speaking hypothetically of course, how would you do this at Circuit City quickly, then be able to nonchalantly walk out before they notice what happened?
KA0MR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 03:30:16 PM »

By clicking on "Run" button typing "command"

when prompt appers type " Fdsik" and then choose the prper numbers and Voila hypothetically speaking of course

Bob
Circuit City Phantom
CURMUDGEON

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2002, 08:40:49 AM »

Why would you want to do such a thing hypothetically to Ckt. City or any other retailer? I think you're a jerk for merely suggesting such.
KB0NLY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2002, 11:55:28 PM »

LOL

I got a good laugh out of thinking about someone walking into Circuit City picking a computer on display and fdisk'ing the hard drive.  That would be hilarious, i bet there techs would take days to figure out what happened, why do i say that?  Well i repair computers for a living, and having a circuit city available by interstate there is a few computers about with there name on it, who do you think they go to for the second repair attempt, i will give you a hint its not them!  I make more money off of best buy, circuit city, and gateway then i do building new systems and selling them for profit.

again, very very funny.

Scott, KBØNLY

FALCON1965

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 10:57:52 AM »

I am another poor sole in this mess and have followed the advice of using a bot disk and getting to the A prompt but once I type "format" C I get a "Bad command or Filename. I have tried various combos and keep getting the same things. Any other sugestions?
Thanks
BRONA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 10:56:27 PM »

Hi,

I recommend using free KillDisk software to erase your drive. KillDisk erases the whole HDD, it is impossible to recover any data after using it. KillDisk also supports some highly secure erase algorithms such as DoD M5220 and Guttman's. After using KillDisk you should re-partition and re-format your drive to use it from scrath. Head to www.killdisk.com for more info and download.
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2005, 04:29:23 AM »

1) Create a floppy disk using either Windows 95, Windows 98 or DOS 6 that is bootable.

2)  Load on to this floppy disk FDISK.EXE, SYS.EXE and FORMAT.COM. Note that in some versions the second program may be called SYS.COM. All files can be found in either your DOS directory or your COMMAND directory depending on version.

3) Boot using your floppy disk

4) FDISK /mbr
Note lower case letters

5) Run FDISK again and create a new partition table

6) FORMAT C: /U /S
This will unconditionally format the hard disk and make it bootable.

HA5RXZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: