Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electro Voice 630 Conversion  (Read 587 times)
N3ZKP

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2005, 11:55:33 AM »

What kind of modern equipment? What are you wanting to use it on?

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
KE5DFK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 01:48:58 PM »

I found this mic in my uncles garage a few days ago.  What do I need to do to use it on modern equipment.  The mic has an impedance of 150 ohms and is setup with a balanced configeration.

Any help is welcome.

Thanks

KE5DFK
Carlos
KE5DFK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 10:25:22 PM »

Lon, I guess that it would have helped to include what equipment I intend to use it on.

In order of priority:
(what I have now)
Icom V-8000
(when I get my general) taking the test next month
Icom 706
Kenwood TS-440
Yeasu FT-900
ICOM IC-735

Thanks
KE5DFK
Carlos
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 06:09:28 AM »

Carlos:

The 630 was a popular mike in the tube days, but usually in the high impedence (10k or more) version..

Forget it for the FM rig. You are better off using the included mike. Stick with the standard mike or an Icom mike for the 706 or other Icoms.

For the others, you will need to do some impedence matching. Most rigs want 600 ohms at least to get sufficient drive. Additionally they are all unbalanced input. In most cases, a simple transformer will do it. I'd drop Bob Heil a note and ask him. Or, you could invest on one of the outboard mixers that can handle the conversion and let you play with the equalization.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
KE5DFK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 08:10:33 AM »

Lon,

Thanks for your prompt reply.  I thought about using a 4:1 (150 to 600) matching transformer with the Heil balanced cable with the two wires outside the shild for the PTT.  This is what I was thinking at first.

As for the balanced to unbalanced match, well you got me there.  I am wide open for any and all information you could give me on this issue.

How would I configure the PTT, this mic does not even have an ON/Off switch.

I have thought about using the mic with one of the Mic EQ's made by ND2M.  I like to build and it is much cheaper than the W2IHY systems.  

KE5DFK
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 02:08:56 PM »

<< Thanks for your prompt reply. I thought about using a 4:1 (150 to 600) matching transformer with the Heil balanced cable with the two wires outside the shild for the PTT. This is what I was thinking at first.

As for the balanced to unbalanced match, well you got me there. I am wide open for any and all information you could give me on this issue.>>

Normally you go from balanced to unbalanced by feeding the two "hot" conductors to the input of the transformer and then run the ground to one of the output leads and use that for the unbalanced ground connection and the remaining output lead as the hot. You could even go to RS and get one of their balanced to unbalanced audio adapters. It does all this in a shlelded case.

<<How would I configure the PTT, this mic does not even have an ON/Off switch. >>

Most mikes in those day came both ways - with or without. PTT is easy -  a SPST switch. You can use push button, slide switch, lever switch. momentaty contact. Mount it in the base, use a hand switch, use a foot switch. I use a foot switch for my TS-570, a handheld pushbutton switch on my portable rig and a D-104/TUG8 stand on my new KWM-2A. Personally, I don't like desk mikes. It's hard to get my mouth 2" from them, and that's the best way to work. I use Heil Headsets for the 570 and the portable rig. MUCH better sounding audio and no background noise. On a classic tube AM or SSB rig, a desk mike looks teriffic and that's why the 104 on the Collins.

<<I have thought about using the mic with one of the Mic EQ's made by ND2M. I like to build and it is much cheaper than the W2IHY systems.>>

Don't know beans about that one. Again, personally, unless there is some particular problem to deal with, equalizers on ham rigs are either a waste of money or an ego trip, or both. Smiley

With the exception of vintage AM gear, there's no reason to try to sound like a broadcasting station.

Good Luck with the project. I hope I have been of some assistance.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: