Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butternut HF9V Interference  (Read 508 times)
WB4WOT

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2005, 05:23:34 AM »

Hi, guys,
I have a one year old HF9v which has worked flawlessly until the last month or so.  I get a constant S5 to S9 static which is present on all bands, but worse on 20M.  I have a dipole also connected which does not have the problem.  Thought the BPL monster had reared it's ugly head here, but the dipole is fairly clean.  The noise is greatly reduced by the Noise Blanker on my TS-570.  Can't find any unshielded ignition source or the like in the immediate area.  All coax's check out fine.  Do you think the old girl (HF9V) just needs to be taken down and cleaned up?  It is Florida...you know.  

73's
Thom
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 08:30:31 AM »

I seriously doubt you need to clean the antenna, if it was properly installed in the first place, although checking the various nuts and bolts for tightness should be a yearly thing anyway.

Remember that most man made and impulse noise is vertically polarized and virtually any dipole will be less sensitive to it than a vertical.

Lon

WB4WOT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 10:41:16 AM »

Ironically, the power went out here for about an hour.  During the course of that time, I wheeled out my portable generator, hooked it to the TS-570 and no interference for the first time in over a month.  Not the antenna's fault, but electrical interference of some type.  When the power came back on...interference returned while I was still connected to the portable generator.  House current...ditto.  Any suggestions on filtering for vertically polarized interference?

73's
Thom
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 12:47:22 PM »

The only way you can filter out vertically polarized
interference is to use a horizontally polarized antenna -
like your dipole.

A better approach is to find the source of the interference
and get it shut off.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 02:24:02 PM »

Ditto that.

This has been written here a hundred times, but just in case you missed it...

-Power your rig from a battery and shut off the MAINS breaker at your service panel to effectively disconnect your home from the AC mains;

-If that makes the noise go away, then the noise is being generated by something in your home;  if so,

-Turn off all the branch circuit breakers, flip the MAINS breaker back on, and then turn on the breakers one by one to see which one causes the noise to return;

-Figure out which circuit branch that is, and start unplugging things, one by one, until the noise goes away, and BINGO.

-If shutting off the MAINS to your home does *not* kill the noise, and it remains even with your home completely shut off, then the noise is either coming from somebody else's home or from the MAINS itself, which could be a transformer, surge protector or insulator breaking down, or any number of things.  If you're convinced it is the MAINS (utility) and not a neighbor's fault, call the power company and show them what you did to isolate the source.

WB2WIK/6
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 05:28:24 AM »

Ditto everything Steve said. Smiley

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: