Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are the shortwave broadcasters?  (Read 555 times)
KC0VEJ

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2005, 09:54:20 PM »

I was scanning the radiowaves tonight and I heard a station called "Radio Liberty" on 7.465MHZ.  I won't comment on their editorial content, but I was wondering, who has a license to broadcast on these frequencies. I assume Radio Liberty is based in the U.S. Are commercial stations licensed to broadcast on these frequencies? Just curious...  Thank you!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 08:46:51 AM »

Yes, there are a number of stations licensed to broadcast in this frequency band. In addition there are a number of lower power "pirate" stations that hold no license at all.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 04:46:13 PM »

Commercial stations from just about every country in the world hold licenses to transmit in selected portions of the 7 mhz range. A copy of Pasport to World Band Radio will give you more information that you can digest. Smiley

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 01:32:14 AM »

I am constantly amazed at the number of people who have enough computer "smarts" to be able to find eHam and post a question, but find it so difficult to Google the words "radio liberty".

This search took 0.07 seconds...

http://www.radioliberty.com/
KC0VEJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 07:47:31 PM »

My question wasn't "what is Radio Liberty?" My question concerned commercial stations broadcasting on these frequencies.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 03:10:52 AM »

I am sorry Ethan. I was just trying to be helpful.

Since we both live in the St. Louis area, maybe we will actually see each other at a hamfest one of these days. You can't miss me. I will be the one wearing a baseball cap with my callsign on it!

Seriously, if you are really interested in shortwave listening, another 'must have' book is the World Radio TV Handbook that most people simply call the WRTH. Their website is http://www.wrth.com. You can buy the book from them for 22.00 British Pounds (which is about $39 - but includes shipping) or you can get it on Amazon for about $20.00 plus another couple of bucks for shipping.

Good luck!
NØIU

KC0VEJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 05:35:31 PM »

Hi Scott. I'm really not interested in shortwave listening. I've been out of ham radio for so long, I'm trying to catch-up on things and I just never realized so many commercial stations were licensed to use these bands.

(Did you go to the Halloween Hamfest in Kirkwood? I got there around 2:00 and it was already over!)

Ethan
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 03:07:11 AM »

Nope, didn't make it this year. I guess the next big one is the Winterfest!

de Scott N�IU
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 07:05:17 AM »

HH was rather disappointing...the second room had virtually nothing in it this year.  Let's hope Winterfest is strong.

de Mike in O'Fallon, IL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: