Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current production HT with the best audit output?  (Read 418 times)
KI4LIV

Ignore
« on: November 08, 2005, 07:05:51 PM »

I'm looking at a variety of HTs, and the biggest point for me (other than good quality transmit and stability) is the audio output.

Are there any ham HTs on the market (current production) that have audio output even close to commercial radios? (Motorola, etc). I had an HTX-202 but it died on me and for as little as I paid for it, it wasnt worth putting the money into it - but the audio output was INCREDIBLE! I am looking for something that comes even CLOSE to that.. Not one of these tinny sounding things!

Any feedback?

Jon / KI4LIV
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 05:32:46 AM »

I'm not sure which of the current crop of amateur HTs I would recommend.  If you want a rugged HT with good audio which has all the performance of a commercial radio, why don't you just buy a commercial grade landmobile portable and put it on the ham bands?

If you shop around for used equipment at hamfests, etc. there are some great bargains out there in used equipment, and even for new stuff if you search on the web.  The GE M-PD is a common older radio which is PC programmable and works well on the ham bands.  Bendix-King is another.

There are no dual-band commercial HTs because of issues with type acceptance, but for fully featured, single-band radios look at some of the ICOM landmobile offerings and you may be presently surprised.  The Army's new Soldier Intercom is based upon the ICOM F4GT platform, and that would be a good place to start looking for a current radio.
KI4LIV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 06:41:30 AM »

I had thought about that, but most of the radios out there today are pretty expensive if you buy new.

Now if I buy used, I was looking at some used Motorola Sabers that had a split that would work nicely with 2 meters, BUT, unless I tote my computer/rib/cables with me, I am pretty much stuck if I go out of town as there is no way to program them on the fly.

This lack of field programmability is the one big draw-back to purchasing a commercial rig. I have considered something like that for a "local only" radio though.
KI4LIV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 06:42:42 AM »

One other thing since I mentioned RIB in the last post - that is something else I would have to purchase, and then the programming software.

Unless of course I want to pay $40 or more to program/reprogram my radio (going rate locally for a Saber or any other Motorola model).
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 07:22:47 AM »

There are commercial Bendix-King and older ICOM radios which are field programmable from the keypad.  I would search for one of those.  Or just load all of the possible repeater pairs, with PL required for the states which you travel in, sorted by Interstate highway corridors or whatever works for you and all of the simplex channels.  My commercial ICOM has 16 banks of 16 channels and that's what I have done.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 01:31:08 PM »

You'll probably also find the commercial radios are bigger (and heavier) than most present Amateur H-T's.
    In the mad rush to fit all kinds of "bells and whistles" into smaller and smaller H-T's, SOMETHING has to be sacrificed.  And the smaller the speaker (some are little more than a glorified earphone,)the lower the quality (and amount)of the audio it can produce.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: