Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What 500 watt auto tuner to buy?  (Read 707 times)
N8RT

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2005, 12:54:45 PM »

Hello All, I Hope this is the correct place to ask for suggestions regarding Auto Tuners?
I intend to buy an Icom IC2L , in the near future, and thought that the ICom At-500 would be a good match, however I have heard that the AT-500 uses Motors and Bandswithces to tune. A few hams I spoke with that owned the AT-500 said Parts like the bandswitch are no longer available, and that many of the at500's have burnt or intermiitent bandswitches, due to improper use!
I understand now that most of the manufacturers are using RELAYS to tune , and so I am Loooking for a recommendation as to which tuner might be a good buy for the bucks. Thats current and reliable.
thanks for your thoughts in advance. The tuner will be used to tune a Carolina WIndom ant about 130 ft long.
rob n8rt
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to All
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 06:42:47 AM »

Hi Rob!  You might wanna check out the LDG tuners.  They have a 1000 watter that looks pretty good.  Expensive, but should do the trick.  Thinking of one myself, but other needs keep popping up (hi).

Have the 100Pro model myself, and man, it's a beauty.  So, would think the "big brother" model should be the same.

73, Jim/k7unz
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 08:13:35 AM »

Rob,

I have used the AT-500 with my IC-746 for over three years without a problem. Although no longer in production there are still a lot of them on the used market. The AT-500 internal parts are all standard and obtainable. Malcolm Scott still repairs them if one goes bad.

de Lindy
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 08:24:27 AM »

By the way, I have used the AT-500 with the AL80B many times at 1K SSB without harm...

de Lindy
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 07:10:23 AM »

OOOooopppsss

Scott Malcolm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: