Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TM-271A TX AUDIO problems  (Read 829 times)
KC7CJO

Ignore
« on: January 20, 2006, 10:38:18 AM »

I have received numerous requests for a file that shows how to adjust the Deviation on the Kenwood TM-271A.  It seems that quite a few people have had TX audio issues and believe that adjusting the deviation is the answer.

NOT!

I'm the owner of the TM-271A Yahoo Group and to my knowledge, not one person who has had the low TX audio issue has solved it by adjusting the deviation!!!

About 85 - 90% of the TX audio issues with this rig, in my experience, has been the microphone itself!  Either the connections on the mic cable and in the radio jack have gotten dirty or corroded (I know, they're gold contacts, but they DO wear out!) and the audio from the microphone will degrade to the point the audio just slowly fades away.

Following these few steps BEFORE you adjust ANYTHING in the rig and it will help determine where the problem lies!

1.)  Before you go out and purchase another microphone, or even borrow one, disconnect the mic from the radio. Plug it back in, making sure you hear a click.  This means the connector is locked into position.  Do this several times at BOTH ends of the mic cable!

This will clean the connectors on the cable and the jacks in both the radio and microphone head. I know, they're gold contacts, but they DO get dirty!!

2.)  If you can, find a Kenwood microphone that has the 8-pin modular plug on the end of the cable.  I recommend the KMC-35 (commercial) mic as it's a no-frills (no buttons except the PTT) and works great in the TM-271A (or E version as well).  Or you can just buy a new microphone (stock one) ON LINE!!!!!!!  Search the internet!!  I found a replacement KMC-32 (original mic) for $19.99 +S&H (I thought I had bought it through www.theantennafarm.com, but they don't show that price!  I'll keep looking and post it once I find it.

There are several other "mods" you can do for this, but do these first and see if they don't work!!!  If not, contact me at: KC7CJO@Yahoo.com

Rod
KC7CJO

PS - FOUND the source!  The microhone is $17.99 (FREE SHIPPING TOO)!. I HOPE the hyperlink thingy works on this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/DTMF-16-key-Mic-Kenwood-TK-868-TK-768-Car-radio-/350352856657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5192a85651
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:32:19 PM by KC7CJO » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: