Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FRS Radios -- need recommendation  (Read 392 times)
AJ4IK

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2006, 11:19:33 AM »

Hi Folks,

Time to upgrade/replace my FRS HT's at home. I'm looking to get one of the consumer-grade packages that have the radios, drop in charger, & belt clip stuff. I've seen what appear to be full-featured radios sold this way for $20-$40.

Would like to have NiMH batteries in lieu of NiCad (doubt I can find Lithium Ions in this grade of equipment).

Other preferences:

No roger beep (or selectable on/off).

Do want at least the usual 38 PL code capability. The additional Motorola coding is even better (ever used FRS at a ski slope or amusement park? So does everyone else!).

Would like to have easy access to channels, but a keyboard lock would be nice.

Not interested in paying any extra for mic/speaker jacks on this type of unit.

Water resistance is a plus.

So, seen any packages at Wally World, Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, Big Lots, etc. that would be worth a shot? Do you own any that you really like and would buy again? Is there a good website for reviews or forums? I didn’t notice any on my latest Google run. Thanks for your help…
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 01:04:50 PM »

Our County buys FRS radios in bulk for issue to Community Emergency Response teams.  The currenjt ones we are issuing are Uniden, and are the most simple-to-use, intuitive design.

RECOMMENDATIONS ON FRS RADIOS FOR CERT TEAMS:

•Full 14 channel capability (maximum flexibility)
•Standard AA or AAA alkaline batteries (NOT only special rechargeable types)
•Ruggedized or rubber armored case
•Solid, fixed antenna (NOT folding)
•External ear/mike jack for hands-free operation using a push-to-talk switch (use no VOX because CERT is a noisy environment)
•Priority channel capability (set it to the primary contact channel to keep in touch)
•One-touch “call” button to get someone’s attention or when voice contact is difficult
•LED display (instead of LCD which is harder to see at in the dark, even with backlighting or flashlight)
•Scan capability IS NOT RECOMMENDED (you can get confused about which channel you are on)
•CTCSS (Privacy tone code) capability NOT RECOMMENDED (limits what you can hear - most FRS have this ability, but we instruct teams NOT to use it.)

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: