Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Discontinued Rigs  (Read 507 times)
NG0K

Ignore
« on: January 31, 2006, 07:04:35 AM »

Yaesu has recently discontinued the FT-840, FT-847, and one or both of the FT-1000 models.

No recent announcements of "base station" rigs for the normal ham for less than $1000 from anybody as far as I can tell.

Kenwood still has the TS-570 and the TS-480 at $1000 and Icom has the little IC-718 for $550.

Seems like the choices for modestly priced base stations are dwindling!  Does anybody have any opinions as to what these radio companies are thinking?  

73, Doug NG0K

73, Doug - NG0K
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 08:15:38 AM »

I didn't know about the recent Yaesu discontinuations (if you're right), but all equipment introduced to market should have an End of Life plan from the start.  Nothing sells forever.

Icom has not only the IC-718 but also the IC-706MK2G and of course now the new IC-7000, which is a bit over $1K but at least is a new rig.

Not sure what Yaesu has in mind, but then I didn't know they recently discontinued the other stuff you mentioned.  I saw the FT-840 and FT-1000MP(MKV and Field) units on display at HRO last Saturday when I was there, with no mention of them being discontinued or "final sale" or anything.

I think Alinco still has two <$1000 HF rigs on the market (mobile and "home" types).  And of course $1000 will buy quite a lot of stuff from Elecraft (K2+SSB option + 100W option all together are about $1K); and Ten-Tec is still selling the Jupiter 'far as I know, for just a bit over $1K.

WB2WIK/6
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 07:51:19 PM »

There are LOTS of FABULOUS used rigs out there!  3 to 10 year old radios abound, most mint, many of which were the stuff to drool over - and not long ago.

Yaesu guy?  Not my cup of tea, but who'd turn their nose up at an FT-990 or FT-920?

Have a yen for Osaka? Icom's venerable IC-765, a "grown man's" contest radio for over a decade, is easily had for a song, a bargain compared to its prowess - still today.  And don't forget the classic IC-735.  What other HF rig stayed on the market for THAT long?  Examples of this rig abound, in great shape, for under $350.  Buy two!

Kenwoods always sound great - both ways.  How could you beat a TS-850 in the price class they command these days?  Copies of the current-issue TS-480 and TS-570, with just a few miles on the clock, are not to be overlooked.

Try American?  How about Reynoldsburg's finest, a vintage Drake TR-7?  Even after 20 years, a desirable and all-around solid radio.  Or from Sevierville, our own Volunteer State serves up benchmark QSK a la the covetable Corsair II, Omni V, or Paragon.  Only thing better than a Ten Tec radio is the fact you can talk to the factory where they made 'em, anytime you want!  (Well, business hours are best.)

Truly, we don't make 'em like we used to.  You can be the beneficiary of the guys 'trading up' and take home a pre-owned gem, for peanuts.
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 05:53:14 AM »

I think that Yaesu-Vertex is looking at the mass market and fewer hams seem to want the clunky, full-featured base radio.  The fashionable thing seems to be the micro-tiny everything from DC to daylight in one box.  The "average ham" they are marketing to has been dumbed down so much that he doesn't know what a good receiver is and the gap is becoming wider betwen the few users who are willing to pay for superior performance, and those who are only looking for a cheap radio with as many features as they can cram in it, and wouldn't know a good radio if it fell from the sky and crushed them into road pizza.

Rant mode off - Thanks to changes in demographics of the hobby there are some fantastic bargains in great used radios out there for the knowledgeable purchaser. Research, ask the radioheads what works, go forth, shop wisely, be thankful and good DX.
NG0K

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 07:06:15 PM »

As of today the FT-840 was still in stock at HRO.  Gigaparts and Universal radio show it as discontinued.  The FT-1000 Mark V field only has demos at HRO at this time.   It is discontinued at Gigaparts and still offered at Universal.

Doug.  NG0K

73, Doug - NG0K
WA2E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 11:07:58 AM »

I'm sure manufacturers like to hold back the news as much as possible.Who wants to pay full price for a rig that's going bye-bye?

Here's a link to the FT-2000 introduced at Hamfair Tokyo:

http://wind.ap.teacup.com/je1cka/792.html
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 11:14:31 PM »

Another superb under $1,000 rig is the Ten Tec Argonaut V.

The Alinco rigs Steve is thinking of are the DX-77T and the DX-70TH.  Both have been on the market quite a long time and are older technology.  Both are fairly decent rigs, though.

Yaesu offers the FT-857D and the FT-897D, both for under $1,000.  For QRPers the FT-817ND is under $600.

Icom offers the IC-718, IC-706MkIIG, and for the QRPers out there the IC-703Plus.  The IC-703Plus is NOT a QRP version of the IC-706MkIIG.  It has a completely redesigned front end and the receiver is far superior to it's high powered cousin, plus it has a built in autotuner.  I have had one for a few months now.  It's really quite a good rig.

Kenwood has already been described well by Steve.

It seems to me there are plenty of choices.

Caity
K7VO/9
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: