Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Shack Or Uniden?  (Read 549 times)
JMMBAM

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2006, 07:32:31 PM »

Im looking at getting a digital scanner but not sure on which one to get.Either the radio shack pro 96 or the uniden b396t.i need to know which one is the better of the two.they both look like they have the same features.any info would be great.thanks.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 06:51:55 AM »

Personally, I prefer the Uniden sets.  As time goes by, Radio Shack is discontinuing their brand and selling other brands--look what happened to the ham radio equipment, for example.  My feeling is that Radio Shack has moved from a manufacturer and retailer to just retailing.  

For example, their 25 amp switching supply is actually made by Samlex who puts a RS label on the cheapened down version of their product.  Rumor has it that the last of the ham rigs sold under the RS label were made by Yaesu--and again cheapened down.

Stick with Uniden--for all we know the RS scanner may be a cheapened version of the Uniden radio anyway, and the prices are about the same.
WA2E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 03:34:26 PM »

Might pay to wait till rebanding is done. RS has for years had both Uniden and GRE private label their scanners.

Mike
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 03:13:38 PM »

I'd go by the features and the ease of use rather
than other folks opinions.
I guess some of those folks don't realize that all the
major retailers (Sears, Penneys, Walmart) have things
made to order and have their name put on them.
Even the auto makers. So, select the one that you
like the best.
73 ,
Tim  WA4PTZ
K4YHQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 04:31:33 PM »

I have both, and the Pro 96 (Pro 2096) is hands-down my favorite. I hardly use my B396T any longer, while I bought a 2096 in addition to my Pro 96 and mounted it in my car when they were on sale recently.  As the previous poster said, ease of use is more important than features your not likely to use. In that regard, the Radio Shack scanner is far better than the Uniden. The Pro 96 has a straightforward button-driven menu that's easy to navigate, whereas the B396 has several menus and sub-menus that you access through a combination of a single rotary knob and two other multifinction buttons -- much like what the Yaesu 817 is often critizised for.

The free Uniden software is awkward, while the Radio Shack Win 96 software is just about the best ever written for a scanner in IMHO, better even than ScanCat.  Better still, there's quite a large community using the Win 96/Pro 96 combination, and cloneable files are easy to download from the web.  

As for performance, I've not noticed any difference between the two.

JMMBAM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 09:41:56 PM »

thanks for all the input.i may go with the uniden model.now is your uniden handheld capable of using alkaline batteries or do you have to use the ones that they provide.rechargeable only? this may be the one thing that my change my mind.please let me know.thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: