Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AC Adapter (3V - 8.4V)  (Read 428 times)
KOOLKAT

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2006, 06:44:23 PM »

A number of times we find ourselves powering different low voltage items and in my searching I found the following item that will be of interest to a lot of electrontic gadget users. I found this at batteryspace.com, interesting site for a lot of cool items.

Product review on Universal Digital Camera AC Adapter (3V - 8.4V) selectable for most of Camera, PDA, PSP etc Part#: AD-SMP2500A  /  $14.95

The ordering process is simple and effective.  Items are shipped on time, well-packaged and good value for the dollars spent. This is my third order and I have been please with each item received.

The first thing I noticed with this AC Adapter was the weight of the unit. I was expecting the usual heavy weight of a transformer and this item was much lighter than any that I now have.  Also, inserting the unit into an AC outlet, because of the location of the AC prongs, the unit does not take up extra spaces or crowd out other outlets. This is really important with a power strip where outlet space can and is important.  When plugged in, the green “on” light is a nice feature. Supplied with this adapter are DC adapter plugs for many applications. Two plugs with square ends are supplied, yet I have no idea what they are for but are supplied should you need them and have an appliance, which needs them.  Several, 4, right angle plugs are supplied and one plug which is a straight plug design was the size I was hopping would be a right angle design. I’m still looking for that plug size in right angle design. Also supplied was a flat blade, “key” used to turn the voltage selector dial. This key is nicely designed and will last a lifetime in regular use. Let’s hope you do not lose the key. The voltage selector dial is designed for a thin flat blade tool such as the supplied key or you can use a flat bladed screwdriver. It would have been a nice design feature if a coin could also be used. The ability to use a thin coin such as a dime or maybe something as thick as a penny would have been really nice. International coins of similar thickness would also have been a good idea.  When the key is used to turn and select the voltage dial, its nice to “feel” a solid click when the voltage rating is selected.  Also the arrow direction on the dial is a very good idea. Plugging in the voltage adapter, green light comes on and then plugging the proper DC tip into the power line and then into your DC appliance is a very simple task. First off, I selected my 80 Gig MP3 FlashTrax XT player, which requires 5 volts of power. Attaching the power line with correct adapter tip, setting the voltage dial to the correct voltage setting and everything turned on, and the FlashTrax’ S battery light showed it was being charged.  Next, I tried my Minolta S-414 digital camera, which has a requirement of 6 volts. A simple turn of the voltage selector dial and the camera turned on with a “full battery” scale showing on its digital menu. This ability to use the AC adapter will be very handy when doing a lot of camera work when the camera is attached to the computer or on an a tripod.   In closing, I can see a lot of use for this AC adapter. Having this item in my camera bag will eliminate carrying several other AC transformers that may be item specific, since this adapter can supply adjustable voltage to several different electronic items.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: