The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Membership  (Read 2391 times)
KC0WDG

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2006, 12:14:58 PM »

Hello all!  I got my call sign this week and am ready to start enjoying the hobby!

I'm going to stir it up a bit on my first post...Would you recommend a membership to the ARRL?  Why?  Why not?

73's from Missouri
Adam L. Cook
KCØWDG
WA5UHK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 12:51:34 PM »

Yes.  Magazine is great, you get KC0WGD@arrl.net autoforward mailbox, and access to all the technical articles on the arrl website.  The logo looks cool on your QSL cards too.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 01:59:40 PM »

Don't let others decide for you. Membership is only $39 a year. Give it a shot and decide for yourself. If at the end of the year you have not found that it has value to you personally, don't renew.

Good luck!
Scott N0IU
(Also in MO)
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 02:50:34 PM »

....not to mention that if you have questions about any number of things ,technical,legal , regulatory....there's someone at HQ glad to help.Our affiliated club is using a Volunteer Counsel to help file our tax-exempt status....the services are truly endless.Plus, access to a dandy search function for articles in QST, QEX , ARRL Letter,etc. The e-mail alias is awful handy , and easily portable , in case you change ISPs.It's not free , but these guys are worth every nickel .

Russ, W5RB
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 08:05:07 PM »

hi adam,

I agree, if budget allows, try it and see if
you like it.  

btw, here is the link for anyone to use for info
at arrl site

http://www.arrl.org/tis/

congratulations on the call !

73 james ke4drn (arrl member since 1993)
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 09:59:04 PM »

I'll keep it at 100% yes.  Give it a try and judge for yourself.  If nothing else you get QST magazine, which is probably still the best general, all around ham magazine out there.  I also get QEX, the ARRL's more technical publication at a discount as a member.

Caity
K7VO
KC0WDG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 07:38:42 AM »

Thanks for the info!  Looks like I'll be signing up.

73s from Missouri
Adam
KCØWDG
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 08:01:38 AM »

I joined at a time when they were moaning about the cost of doing business, (has that stopped ?). In any event when my renewal came up, after much hand wringing by the ARRL about the "cost of putting out a quality magazine", (which it no question is), I suggested they offer a no mag membership or auxiliary membership for those who , like me, wanted to support the ARRL but not necessarily subsidize the magazine and remove my name from their burden of having to supply me with one. I felt the funds could have been specifically used for other matters and not the publication.
    I had a cordial dialogue with a staff member and he informed me that due to the governing laws concerning non profits etc. It was required that "all members" are legally entitled to receive a periodic publication from the organization so forth and so on , and their magazine served this purpose. To not send a magazine would be more costly then to include it by virtue of membership.
    It was suggested that if desired I could make donations without membership if I didn't want the magazine , the problem with this is that I would not be allowed access to the "members only" articles which are held hostage , and perhaps rightfully so,by them.

It took about 3 years for the solicitations to stop  but they did. I still feel that they are missing out on  funds which would be available to them if they would consider other options such as Auxiliary membership with  archive access but no publication, however it is not too be. I must add that the ARRL has been around long before I was and no doubt will be around after I am gone and my RF comes to rest at the edge of whatever boundaries of our world your beliefs allow. So they must be know what they re doing.    
KE4XJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 09:37:37 PM »

No human institution is perfect.

For me, the good done by the ARRL far outweighs the negative. Thus I am a member. I recommend membership for its benefits, but I am not blind to its faults. You will need to decide if its benefits for you outweigh the negatives.

Read my first sentence again.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006, 04:31:27 AM »

To those who rail at the ARRL, I pose this question:

What other national, Amateur Radio oriented group has done better?

Dennis KG4RUL
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 09:32:27 AM »

Nobody has mentioned the QSL bureau.......

Without ARRL, I doubt if there would be enough support (both in finance and skilled technical personnel) for the IARU to represent amateur radio at the ITU, which ARRL manage to do through the Technical Relations Office in Fairfax, Va. Without that support, and the presence of those guys at CITEL and ITU, we'd lose a lot of our bands.

ARRL provides a lot of support for amateur radio right where it matters - and that isn't always just Washington.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 11:14:40 AM »

The ARRL isn't perfect (by a long shot) and I disgree with some of their policies and decisions.  But on the whole, they do more good than harm.  SO I remain a member..

But as mentioned earlier, I would like to see the ARRL provide an alternative to the printed copy of QST, and save printing costs, postage, and paper in the process.

1.  Allow members to choose either the printed or an electronic on-line version of the magazine; that could be be in the "Members only" section.
    SInce the ARRL puts it's publications on a CD each year, it shouldn't be too difficult to make the electronic version of QST, QEX and NCJ on-line in real time.  They have to do it eventually, anyway, and there's no reason they would have to wait until the end of the year.

2.  For those that choose the on-line version, send them the full ARRL Publication CD for that year when it becomes available, so that the members will still have a permanent archive.

I don't have room to store more than a year or two of QST, and some of the material is completely useless, or at least of no interest, to me.  I don't NEED the printed version of a magazine (QST or other) if I can read the articles I wish on-line.  If some want the paper copy, tht should be their choice, but the ARRL could save a lot of money if they didn't have to print or mail so many magazines each month.
KA3RFE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 03:56:31 PM »

{ joined simply to get QST and to be kept informed of any changes to the rules the FCC makes. Now, with all these internet sites, I don't need QST to keep abrest of the FCC, but I still want the rag. The technical articles and all the ads keep me gretting it. The magazine is certainly worth the dues.

KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 12:43:34 PM »

If you didn't send off your check yet, contact the ARRL and ask about the "new ham" rate. Sometimes a local club will pass out the flyers at exam sessions, sometimes no one does. You get a nice discount on the first year. Try it for a year, see if you like it.

There are times when the ARRL seems more like a publishing house than a fraternal organization...but it is the only national organization for hams in the US. And only the membership stands any chance of giving it feedback.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: