The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One hand soldering tips ?  (Read 2412 times)
OH1HAQ

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:01:07 AM »

Hi !

As I can use my left hand only, I've been trying to learn the art of solderng with only one hand.

To this day, I've been soldering with the iron on the left hand and the solder between my teeth. (covered with cloth because of the lead)

With some practising I'm starting to get quite good at it, but if somebody has any tips, please share.

My friend found an ad from old QST. "The third hand" look like a handy tool.  http://ham.host.sk/thirdhand.jpg

Is someting similar still in the market ?

Best,
Hannu,
OH1HAQ
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 09:14:18 AM »

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=72864

Also, see various devices by "Panavise" on the same website under "tools" . Jameco is a good company that's been around forever .I hope this helps .
Russ, W5RB
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 11:04:30 AM »

There is liquid solder that comes in a syringe and can be added to the site to be soldered.  Seems to work well for SMT and pretty well for through the board soldering as well as wire soldering.

That may make the use of a vise or other frame all you need.
OH1HAQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:22:20 PM »

>There is liquid solder that comes in a syringe and can >be added to the site to be soldered.

Can you provide a link or product name ?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 02:02:03 PM »

I have seen solder dispensers that attach to the iron. Its been a while and I don't have any links.

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 03:37:10 PM »

Kester Easy Profile 256 Solder paste  manufactured by Electonic Research Group.
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 11:12:49 AM »

Hannu, solder paste (not liquid) in syringes is sold under the "Solder-It" name. Sometimes they advertise on the banner position here at eham. Mention that, maybe they'll come back to supporting this site.
http://www.solder-it.com/
Their product is distributed at the Lowes hardware stores, but not Home Depot. And it is also sold under a slightly different name at Radio Shack stores.

It's a bit expensive but good stuff. Seems to melt & flow easily and gives off a water-white flux as it does. It is available lead-free as well, I think. As are regular solders. (I also sometimes solder "with my teeth" because even two hands aren't always enough.<G>)

If you buy the solder paste, Radio Shack doesn't talk much but the folks who make it will tell you openly that it does have a shelf life. About 18 months after manufacture it turns rock hard in the syringe, so be careful about getting old stock in stores.
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 11:16:08 AM »

Another thought--instead of holding regular solder in your teeth? Why not get a "headlite" or a magnifier (the kind you wear like a headband) and then put an eleastic loop on the side to hold a small roll of solder? Both are common soldering aids these days.
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 06:47:06 AM »

Hannu

I have no ideas myself however I have passed on your post to an organization here in Hungary that deals with placing disabled people in industry. Hopefully they will come back with some useful suggestions after the Easter break.

HA5RXZ
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 06:57:14 AM »

Sorry for the second post but I have found something that may be of use. Have a look at the Hako 373 and Hako 374 devices, URL is as follows:

http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_373.html

They even have local distributors in your part of Europe.

HA5RXZ
OH1HAQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 11:16:29 AM »

>I have passed on your post to an organization here in

>Hungary

Thanks for all your efforts! As for the hakko, it may be a little too expenseve, as I already hava a weller magnastat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: