Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's a good Mic for the Icom 706 series ?  (Read 1014 times)
N1RIK

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2006, 09:12:19 AM »

Hi.  I have a Heil Proset PLUS "iC" for my 706MKIIG, and love it, however because of the strain that the headphone adapter put on the headset jack on the radio (which is known to be weak on the 706s), it now often causes me when keying up on SSB to put out a solid continous signal and max power.  I could resolve this by adding a length of cable with a that would cause less tension on the jack, but also because I have limited space and the headset is kinda bulky, I put it up on Ebay.  Now I realize from audio reports that the Heil Set sounded much better than my stock mic.  What I need is a desk mic that won't break my bank and sounds good on the 706 series.  Can somebody steer me in the right direction?? I hear mixed reviews about the MFJ-297.  Does anybody know if that mic delievers a decent punch when running the 706??  I appreciate all comments.  Thank you ~ 73s ~ Bill ~ N1RIK
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 10:17:39 AM »

The Heil iCM is a desk mike made for Icom, including the IC-706.  You'll need a desk stand (optional), because this mike is a "studio" type microphone that can be mounted a variety of ways, including on a boom or floor stand, or a desk stand -- so that's sold separately.

WB2WIK/6
N1RIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 11:16:12 AM »

does that also require a PTT switch?
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 07:48:14 AM »

Bill,

The ICM has a PTT switch on the mic.

73, de Lindy, WW5AA
N1RIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 05:52:25 PM »

oh nice, I'll have to check that out.  Thanks.  Now all I have to do now is getting a better antenna and a 25 amp power supply (my 15 amp supply runnig 60-watts isn't really cutting it).  I'm planning on buying a AEA Isoloop.  I'm currently runnings a B & W AP-10 apartment antenna, which does get me contacts, however I can't work DX when it comes in because I just can't break the pile ups.  I'm hoping runnings 100-watts on a Isoloop will help out a bit.  My B & W antenna is only about 55 inches long or so, and I have the counterpoise stretched out off the porch across the ground at a 90 degree angle from the antenna.
N1RIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 05:53:57 PM »

On the lighter side, since I've upgraded, I've worked the West Coast, East Coast, and Midwest on 20-meters, and Canada.  I get strong 20+ S9 signals in Spanish from 14.3 - 14.32 MHz which are probably from Mexico or the Carribean, but I can't speak Spanish lol
K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 12:32:16 PM »

The SM-6 and better yet the SM-8, both Icom mic's work very well with the two IC706 I have owned. You can find them used. 73 Denny
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 04:24:05 PM »

Something a little different than what you asked for: the Heil Traveller 706.

Single-side (or dual side) lightweight headset, with boom mic that comes across the side of your face. I have worn on for a 14+ hour event and it stayed comfortable.

See it at...

http://www.heilsound.com

Clint Bradford, K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 09:33:17 PM »

Besides the Icom mikes that come with the radios, I use the Heil Traveller and also a Pryme 100 desk mike. They work well enough that they are all I need.
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: