Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some calls not listed in QRZ  (Read 563 times)
W6FG

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2006, 07:26:07 PM »

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me why certain calls (I guess I shouldn't mention any...) are not in the QRZ data base?  It does give a link to the FCC listing and the call might be listed in other data bases like Buckmaster, but not in QRZ. Are these guys "black listed" or booted off QRZ for some reason known only to QRZ? Thanks for any replies.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Time flies like arrows...
Fruit flies like bananas!
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 03:27:06 AM »

As I understand it you only get listed on QRZ if you supply them with some basic information such as callsign and location. There are also some hams who ask not to appear in their local countries callbook so this might be another reason.

I can't see a reason for not appearing at all. Just the basic information will still keep you 'hidden' but give enough information for someone to point their beam in the right direction.

HA5RXZ
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 07:16:03 AM »

While QRZ.COM privides a tremendously valuable service to amateurs worldwide, they are not obligated to list anyone. American amateurs are automatically included, but if an amateur does something that upsets or angers the powers that be or if they are accusd of being engaged in questionable activity (i.e. K1MAN), they have every right to delete their QRZ entry and just provide a link to the FCC database.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:24:22 AM »

I've seen two separate issues on this:

1.  The owner of QRZ.com does absolutely have the right to "de-list" anyone he wants, and does so at times.  The ones "de-listed" are also usually on the site's "banned" list, so they cannot post anything, either -- at least not from the same IP address they registered with.

2.  And I've also seen the look-up just simply "not work," sometimes.  Type the call again, and try a second time, and the "not found" callsign suddenly is listed, and it works fine.  I have no idea why that is, but probably just some small glitch.

WB2WIK/6
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 05:49:55 AM »

All of the above!

Sometimes our connection with QRZ times out so a lookup might fail.

Also, QRZ has removed MANY calls (USA calls mostly as far as I can tell) for various reasons.  These include requests from individuals for "privacy" as well as QRZ's decision to ban certain hams from the site so QRZ pulls the call from the DB as well.

When I want to find out if a US call is legit, I use wm7d.net

;-)

Mike N2MG
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 08:14:49 PM »

If you *really* want to find out if a US call (amateur or other) is legit, there's always: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp
W6FG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 08:43:58 PM »

Thanks for all the input one and all.  It's not so much the legitimacy of the calls I am questioning nor the reliability of the system.  I know one case in particular where the guy not listed was a fellow I heard many years ago often making trouble on local Bay Area repeaters and harrassing other users, so I'm pretty sure he is still up to his "old tricks".  So then now when I run into an 'unlisted' call it makes me think that this guy is another LID who can't get along with the ham population in general. I do keep a "LID LIST" so I can be sure to ignore the 1% that cause so much grief for the rest of us just trying to enjoy our cool hobby in peace and just 'get along'.  

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Time flies like arrows...
Fruit flies like bananas!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: