Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CB has come to 3.878- malicious interference, etc.  (Read 905 times)
KC4HGH

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2006, 11:58:47 AM »

Last night, I wanted to check into an AM phone net on 3.880 when there was some huge interference by some SSB ops.  The net ended shortly thereafter, so I tuned to 3.878 LSB & listened to some obviously powerful stations, the ops thereof spouting some pretty vulgar language...

I announced my call & reprimanded them and instantly became the target of their tirades.  I then informed them that I would tape their transmissions & send it off to the FCC.  They relented a little, but kept the filthy stuff up.

I've been in contact with the FCC both by telephone and e-mail as to where I can send the tape and written complaint.  I didn't work to get my Extra to get this garbage or treatment.  I also have several school age kids who're interested in amateur radio who don't need this kind of exposure.  In looking at their calls they were Generals, Advanced and Extra ops; a couple of the calls I wrote down were NOT in the database....

Let's clean up this garbage before we lose the hobby.  Join in or flame on, I'm a big boy...

73 de Bud, KC4HGH
KE4XJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:03:01 PM »

Bud,

No flame from me. I agree with you 100%. GO GET'EM!!!

Brad A. Steffler, MD
KE4XJ
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 05:48:44 AM »

I'm surprised they even ID'd at all!  Most of the morons on 75 never even give a callsign, yet they'll spew their foul language at all hours of the night.  Welcome to 75 meters, the sewer of amateur radio.  I personally only use CW or digital modes on 75 unless I'm working a contest.

KU4UV
KB0QIP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 09:55:10 AM »

Hi Bud,
I know the stuff you are hearing.  i cnt tell you how many times i have turned the dial on the radio to listen to 40 meter or 80 meter and turned off the radio.  There are too many who would up grade but why,  if this is what happens.  i have a great radio but i havent had the desire to make the attempt to upgrade yet.  I wonder why?
thanks.  tom
KE4XJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 09:57:04 PM »

I have been watching this thread and I am disappointed there are not more comments.

I have come to one conclusion, though. Calling the action of these guys on 3.878 similar to CB may be construed as an insult to CB.
WIRELESS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 04:29:48 PM »

This kind of stuff has been going on 80 meters since I first tuned the band in 1963.  I suggest that you don't get too excited if you are waiting for an instant fix. It ain't going to happen.
W2BSA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 11:58:04 AM »

Quite frankly, the garbage I hear on some HF frequencies is the reason why I haven't upgraded. It isn't CW or the written test I can pass both. But, why bother. It is far easier to stay away from the foul language, etc. on VHF and above. I can usually talk with a group of folks on a repeater and not hear one foul word or get a pile of garbage aimed at you.

My 2 cents,

Bill Stewart, W2BSA
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 09:30:45 PM »

In the 50's and 60's the 75/80 meter bands were my favorites. Then for some reason, insanity set in.

I worked with a fool who got on his radio and "ate" his neighbor's TVs. He couldn't have cared less. A few of us were asked to check his station and also the TVs of the complaining neighbors. The TVs were bad at some and the ham radio was splattering a little. We cured what we could but the general feeling was that if the ham had cared enough to check, he could have satisfied the neighbors and avoided the complaints.

The same thing seems to be pervasive now. The ones I hear that are so unlike what we want to hear, they just don't seem to care about us.  If they did care, they certainly would use their radios differently. I don't know what the fix is since the values today seem to be much different from not so long ago.

As for shielding the youngsters from the language - Listen to THEM talk when they are walking thru a mall! It is atrocious!!

I am very glad all my radios have come with a tuning knob and an OFF/ON switch.
Frank
KL7IPV
K0RNY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 04:40:56 AM »

Bud, you are fully justified in your disgust, What you have encountered is one of two types of person who view ham radio not as a hobby, but a way of life, the kind I call The Cultist.

The first Cultist views non hams as inferior, would not say poop in person if his mouth was full of it, has memorized Part 97 and is SCARED TO DEATH he will offend his peers in operation and technical matters, so petrified that no innovation ever comes from them.

The second Cultist cracks a beer and slobs with his buddies, he has no family or friends outside ham radio and is gonna operate any way he wants to.

I am the definition of nonconformity and rebellion, I am grown up enough to be courteous, something the human race knows little about.

Carry on, what goes around comes around.

Corny
KC4HGH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 01:12:16 PM »

Thanks all- and my apologies to the decent 11 meter ops!  After an initial contact with Mr. Hollingsworth, he wanted the tape & documentation materials I had.  He's had them for several weeks now & things are relatively quiet on THAT frequency.  I know that it'll take time, but I understand Mr. Hollingsworth isn't a man to be trifled with.

73 all....Bud, KC4HGH
K0RNY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 09:46:47 PM »

Bud, I will save my comments on Hollingsworth for another thread(this is, as any bureaucrat, the way he refers to you, by your last name, mimicing the way they answer the phone, by last name.) The issue is not one of legality, AT HEART the issue is one of courtesy to fellow hams. The people whom you mention are the roughnecks and screw everyone else ham cultist who could care less about ham radio outside their little clique. Ham radio is a mere microcosm of American society, and I have in many cases spotted the symptoms of alcoholism/mental illness in transmissions, and these two conditions are not conducive to courtesy and consideration.

As with any bureaucrat/madarin, Hollingsworth will respond best if you are part of a group, word has reached me that individual complaints receive little response, if you can get your local radio club involved will carry some weight, or if a group sharing your experiences complain on the same problem.

Good luck to you and when the code requirement is dropped for HF operation, I hope to speak to you someday on 3.878 when peace has returned to it.

Corny
W7LDS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 10:26:31 AM »

I just read the entire thread and wanted to offer a couple of observations.  

I've been licensed for 40 years and remember when 75 meters was what is now 2 meters.  In Phoenix, where I grew up, everyone had a HeathKit Hotwater 12 in their truck or car (except for the EE's who worked at Motorola, who had KWM-2s) and I believe 3878 was the state-wide qso frequency, circa late 60s.  The crowd was a bit rowdy, but never vulgar.

I have had several extended periods of inactivity over the intervening years and have noticed the unruliness can be seen to be steadily increasing as those years have past.  The measuring stick, to me at least, will always be certain frequencies on 75 meters.

On the other hand, I had a recent experience on a 2 meter repeater in the area to which I recently moved.  I was speaking to a station about a new antenna I had just purchased which had literally melted.  I used the word "damn", as in "the damn thing melted".  I may also have used "hell".  I do not cuss on the radio, and the use of these words were not typical, but I also did not use them excessively.  

A local station broke into the conversation as politely asked me not to swear on the repeater.  I was a bit taken back, and had to think of what I had said.  I concluded that this person's sensitivity must be a touch high.  Since I am new to the area and not familiar with the local "customs" I did not counter the comment but just continued my qso, making sure there were no further damns or hells forthcoming.  But it did bother me.  So I suppose in the end, the language we use and the offense we take from it are subjective.  And the norm is changing.

I really don't think that the situation will change much if the offending stations are operating legally otherwise.  I can only think of two words that are off-limits on the commercial air waves nowadays.  Even though those words are used on 75 meters, it probably isn't long before you will hear them on a television sitcom.

As one previous poster noted, the VFO knob is probably the best defense.  
AI0F

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 03:13:07 PM »

Check around, that kind of thing is going on all over the bands! As they continue to drop any type of testing criteria that really means anything, it will just get worse. I've listened to the 2M repeaters become unusable, or at least not anything or anybody that seems to have any IQ frequents them much anymore. 6M and 10M are almost a throw-back to the 70's and the horrible insanity of the cb craze. They have almost done away with the only thing that stood in the way of keeping these people off the ham bands, the CODE! I've often heard all the whiny, lazy, whimpering sobs coming from those that say learning cw doesn't make you a better operator...well, it will keep them off the bands because they won't sit down and learn it because they think it's too hard...truth is, it's just that they don't want to do it and want it given to them...which is pretty much what's happening. I'm behind you 100%, go get them!!!
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 12:53:11 PM »

75 Meters has been this way (as well as parts of 20M) since I have been a ham in 1988 and probably has been much longer. I am more of a CW operator but occasionally like to get on SSB now and then. I can't stand to listen to more than a few minutes of this stuff. Most of the time I just spin the VFO knob and the problem is gone. Im glad to hear that someone is making the effort to report these people but I'm sure if you manage to get one or two, another 10 will be there to replace them. Good luck..

James KB2FCV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: