Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Truck Stop" 10m rigs??  (Read 743 times)
KF6PQT

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2006, 09:17:11 AM »

So in reading the recent news about the FCC cracking down on these "export" radios that are being sold in truck stops, e.g. "cb" radios that have >4w output, and have 10 meter capability, I wonder...

Since the law is coming to town, a quick google search shows these things being unloaded at clearance prices...

So, since I have a General class license, and have absolutely no desire to use "12 meters," what would be the downside of obtaining one of these for what I think I understand as legitimate 10 meter use?

Are they horrible radios? Poor signal quality? Of interest is very recent mention that radios for Amatuer service below 30Mhz DO NOT require FCC type-acceptance!

Whattya think? Better that a properly licensed ham has the radio than some unlicensed "freebander?"

Anybody have one of these? I didnt see "Cobra" or "President" in the reviews section... care to give a "review?"

Thanks,
J
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 11:00:40 AM »

With all the good ham rigs on the market, why would you want to throw money away on a converted 4w CB rig? The RS 10m rig is available for under $100 and it's heads above anything from a truck stop.

Right now 10m is not a very hot band, anyway.

BTW, 12m IS a valid ham band; you are thinking of 11m (CB) maybe.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KD5XB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 11:04:20 AM »

If you DO decide to get one of these so-called "10-meter rigs", be sure to leave the Roger Beep turned off.  Also the robot voice and every other weird thing the truckers think makes them bigger and better!

Seriously, the Radio Shack rig is probably a better radio, but the Cobra 200 might do what you want -- it has a little higher transmit power than the rest.

7 3
Earl
N5TXN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 08:00:00 AM »

I have found that the Magnums and RCI-Rangers are very good 10M radios.  The Ranger comes in a 2970DX model that is 150 watts SSB and includes 12 meters.  The Magnums are of higher quality also. I use a Magnum for 10M AM work and love it. I have had a R/S, RCI-Ranger and have a Magnum and all have been good radios.  If you get one of the "better" rigs I thing you will be more than happy. I prefer the Magnum over my FT-897 and FT-840 for 10M AM. I receive much better audio reports.

William
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: