Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Info Wanted on GMRS Base Stations?  (Read 1898 times)
D104MAX

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2006, 07:58:32 PM »

OK Guys... this is my first post, so to briefly introduce myself, my name's Jody and I'm lower than a rookie! lol I got interested in radio way back in the CB craze of the 70's but never took it any further than SSB at the time. I recently picked up a pair of 5 watt Midland GMRS handhelds and applied for my FCC license. While reading the Rules I noticed something on small base stations, antenna height, etc. I just plan on using these for emergency comm back and forth to my wife, (in the event of a disaster, earthquake, etc., and the cell phones go down), but would like an inexpensive base station set-up for my home. So now I come to all you pros for advice in seting up a base station. Any help would be appreciated!  
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 07:02:50 AM »

One possibility is the Audiovox GMRS2000 GMRS/FRS Base Station for about $100.  It is 2 Watts and has a BNC antenna connector.  For an antenna most any 70cm Amateur base antenna will do.  Remember that the antenna can be no higher the 20' above the ground or building that it is mounted on.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 08:18:54 PM »

And, at UHF frequencies, antenna height is your friend, so you probably want to put your antenna on the tallest building available to you, e.g. your 2 story house vs. your 1 story garage, or 1/2 story tool shed.

Also, use good, low loss (at VHF/UHF) coax cable from the x-ceiver to the antenna, e.g. Belden 9913, LMR-400, etc. as opposed to slightly cheaper RG-8, RG-213 or RG-8x. etc. HF grade coax.
D104MAX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 07:22:33 AM »

Thanks Guys for the responses. I'm going shopping!
KC5SAS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 07:10:03 PM »

Sorry for the late reply.  For lots of good info about GMRS check out the fourms at Popular Wireless- http://www.popularwireless.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi . Plent of people who have good info there.

Steve
GMRS- WQBY447
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: