Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is responible for lost shipping?  (Read 2346 times)
W1BAK

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2006, 10:42:47 AM »

Deleted
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:15:24 PM by W1BAK » Logged
KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 11:16:01 AM »

ALWAYS insure, even if the other guy doesn't want to pay for it.  It cheap protection. I'd say you guys have shared responsibility.  If it were me I'd refund the purchaser his money and eat the rig.

Consider it a cheap lesson lesson and be glad it was only an HT.

Always insure for replacement value.
Always get delivery tracking / confirmation.
Require USPS Money Orders (protects both parties).

KE4SKY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 11:18:09 AM »

Ooops, mis-typed my reply.  Understand it was a mobile, not an HT, but older DB mobiles aren't worth all that much and it is STILL a cheap lesson.  Take your lumps and go on.  Refund the guy his money and be a good guy. 73
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 11:18:18 AM »

I'd have shipped it insured, anyway, since insurance is really cheap ($1 per $100, usually).

I've never had any kind of satisfaction from USPS on lost parcels or even lost certified mail.  You fill out a lot of forms and they go radio silent for months.

Then, considering not a day goes by that I don't get somebody else's mail (which makes me wonder who's getting some of mine), I shouldn't be surprised.

I don't know who is responsible, here, but hopefully you can come to an amicable settlement.

WB2WIK/6
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 01:23:40 PM »

NEVER ship anything important in the US Mail or a Delta Airlines baggage compartment .Apparently , the Post Office is at fault , but you are responsible.C'est la vie.

Russ W5RB
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 05:11:35 PM »

I'd say you are ultimatly the one responsible for getting the radio to him. You are the one responsible for having it insured if you don't want to accept the risk unless you had some sort of previous agreement with him.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 05:17:53 PM »

hi gordon,

if the buyer declined the coverage, then he is at risk,
you have proof of shimpent and a track number.

You have no obligation to offer any refund.

Hang in there, your package may be returned to you
if your address is on the carton.

I've had several packages get lost in the system,
(buyer had bad address) and they were returned to me
about six weeks after I shipped them postal.

I also insure anything I sell or buy on ebay or eham.

73 james
K7UNZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 05:24:40 PM »

If you have both a receipt for the shipment, and a USPS confirmation of receipt, then I don't see how it can possibly be your fault.  Perhaps the buyer just wants both the radio and their money back?

Jim/k7unz

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 03:18:33 AM »

My experience of USPS has been good. I mailed a small package in Chicago; somehow, the address label came off, but some 5 weeks later, it arrived in the mail back here in the UK. A few weeks ago, something was mailed to me at our office in San Diego form Sunnyvale: for some reason, it didn't get delivered, but got returned to the sender.

So my experience with USPS has been fairly good in things eventually turning up.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 10:01:45 AM »

Unless you can prove that he did indeed receive the package, you are responsible.  Insurance is so cheap you should have included it in the price so it is not an issue.  Look at it this way, how would you feel if you purchased something, sent the money, never received it and couldn't get your money back.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 03:43:57 PM »

hi,

The seller offered to insure the item,
the buyer declined.  Buyer assumes risk.

FOB origin, risk is with the seller until
the item is accepted by the shipper,
at this point the risk now is with the buyer.

FOB destination, the seller is at risk until
the item is delivered to the destination,
at that point risk is now with the buyer.

If my buyer declines the insurance fee,
no refund is required if the item is lost.
I can file a claim and collect my insurance money
and I have no obligation to reimburse the buyer.

73 james
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 04:31:44 PM »

by KE4DRN on March 22, 2006  

"If my buyer declines the insurance fee,
no refund is required if the item is lost.
I can file a claim and collect my insurance money
and I have no obligation to reimburse the buyer."

========================

So you are saying you take payment, and ship the item.  If the item is lost, you also file an insurance claim and pocket THAT money, but don't refund the money to the buyer?  (Who is out a radio AND the money he sent you?)

Isn't that the way scams work?

I hope you didn't explain that correctly.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 10:27:27 PM »

hi larry,

No scam at all !

I've done over 500 deals on eham, arrl,
qth and ebay combined.

If the buyer declines the actual insurance fee, (postal, fedex, ups, etc, (not a bogus inflated fee some sellers force on buyers)  then I will insure the item to protect myself from loss or damage.  Buyer is at risk.

If buyer pays for the insurance fee then he/she will get reimbursed for damage or loss.  Buyer is covered.

I use priority mail flat rate box or envelopes for fast
shipment or fedex ground for anything else because
the basic rates cover an item $ 100 or less value.
If it is lost or damaged, the buyer will be covered not me because the insurance is included.

See, no scams here.

As for tracking, our carrier scanned my package as delivered when in fact he was picking it up, another
was scanned as delivered but to the wrong street address, (same house number).  All honest errors and
packages were delivered.

73 james
KI4NQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2006, 07:43:31 AM »

I ordered a radio a month ago from a dealer in California. He shipped UPS (they delivered to the wrong address) and left it on the wrong porch.

Luckily I caught the ups man, and he went back to the wrong house and retrieved it.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 10:44:07 AM »

Let's see, IF a seller buys the insurance himself when the buyer won't agree to spring for it.

Seller gets the money for the item from the buyer.  He declines to insure it.  Seller chooses to insure it anyway.  It gets lost in shipping.  Seller collects the insurance.  Now seller has been paid twice for the item.  Even if not illegal, it is certainly unethical.  At the very least, it would be appropriate to refund the money less the cost of insurance and shipping.

This scenario doesn't apply in the above case since neither seller nor buyer chose to insure it.

Personally, I'd never ship anything of signficant value without insuring it no matter what the buyer preferred.  I'd include it as part of the "shipping & handling" and they wouldn't get a choice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: