Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ham looking for web site for newbies  (Read 428 times)
DRMILLER100

Ignore
« on: September 22, 2006, 04:11:55 PM »

Hello,

I am ke7ixe, a brand new Ham radio operator.

I would like to find a website that other new people are welcome. Based upon comments, this website is not the place for newbies to try to help each other out.

Could someone direct me onwards?

thanks,
doug
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 03:44:47 PM »

See my comment under the other category as to why people sometimes get testy.

Honestly a group that is only newbies won't be much help to each other.  At that stage we were all stumbling along.  It's much better and more productive to get help from the more experienced hams.

Your approach to getting help can make a big difference.  Let me give an example.  We have two hams in our club who happen to be father & son.  Neither happens to be able to climb up on roofs for various reasons.  The son will call my husband on Saturday morning and want help that day.  My husband has ceased to help him because the request is always at the last minute.  Contrast this with the father.  The father contacts my husband and asks if he would be available sometime this month to help.  My husband responds with dates he has available.  They get together on that date and the work gets done.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 06:35:57 AM »

I am ke7ixe, a brand new Ham radio operator.

Congrats & welcome Doug.

I would like to find a website that other new people are welcome.

How about MySpace?  Just kidding; I don't know of many other amateur radio related websites with the info you're requesting.  I'd agree that more info may be had in joining one of the email reflector lists.  Personally TowerTalk via contesting.com has tons of info and most times it's not about towers.  Most of the top DXers hang out there, if HF DXing is in your blood.  For info, I'd suggest the beginning books published by the ARRL, many answers to the most asked questions are found there.

Based upon comments, this website is not the place for newbies to try to help each other out.

There are many jerks out there like in life, so you'll need to weed through those.  One "issue" you've gotten yourself into is that, with good intentions, your publishing info via an article when you haven't yet "walked in our shoes" doesn't go over too well.  My suggestion is to hold back your comments and get some experience on the bands.  Keep asking the questions but hold back comment until you're more experienced.  As a professional I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about.

Phil
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 12:56:57 AM »

www.hamsexy.com go thou and be enlightened*

*yeah, that might mean a row of whacker-lights on top of your car, but hey, that counts too!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: