The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Darn stupid radar in Sunnyvale CA  (Read 2781 times)
NS6Y_

Ignore
« on: December 01, 2006, 01:09:55 AM »

I'm near Murphy and California ave - just moved. And there's some stupid rader that sounds like .... well.... annoying. All across HF, boink.... boink.... boink .... or like windshield wipers, such a joy.

Darn it Wiley Post didn't need radar......
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 11:41:53 AM »

Radar on HF?
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 02:58:08 PM »

I was grousing about this signal at HRO today, and Paul says others have complained about it around the Peninsula, and Will says he gets it too.

There was some talk about whether it originates inside the US.....

I think it would be interesting to see what it is.... I tried looking for it between stations on broadcast FM, and between stns on broadcast AM and no signal.... this seems to be in HF ..... I have not checked for this on 6-meters....

Here are some sample freqs I find it on right now....

Could not find it on 6m or 28mhz etc.

If it's got other hams complaining too, it's worth hunting down!
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 03:05:15 PM »

I'm with Steve on this one. There may be a componant of a RADAR signal but across the entire HF spectrum, I think not.

Examine the characteristics:

All freqs?
    Yes = Probably AC line related
    No  = Something else.  Check spacing of signals.
Time related?
    Early in morning - mid afternoon - Evening - Night
    Find something that is on the same cycle such as a progamable thermostat that has RFI when heater is on.

Disconnect the antenna and attach a short wire.
    Louder ? most likely inside the house
    Quiter ? most likely outside

Look for the "oddity" of the interferance and find something with the same time - temperature - whatever as the interference to isolate it..

More data is needed to even hazard a guess at this point.

Let us know what it turns out to be,

Clint - W5CPT

NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 06:17:39 PM »

I agree it may sound like radar but radar's not on HF. And in my experience it seems to be highly localized.

And time, temperature, rain or not, stuff like that is very important. I don't have a mobile rig in my car but my little Grundig FR200 can sure ride along as I drive around, to get an idea of what region it's active in. I think it has to be right around me, since I don't hear this signal on the radios at HRO.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 01:13:24 PM »

Can you post a recording somewhere?

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 07:29:51 AM »

Your (or your neighbor's) Wireless digital thermometer, intrusion alarm, battery chargers and any number of other "pulsed" devices. Don't over look any WIRELESS BATTERY OPERATED device.  Can openers, mixers, knives, etc.  How about your satellite dish/cable box ? wireless LAN ?  perhaps the noise is actually CONTINOUS (at the device) but only it's PEAKS are strong enough to affect the HF spectrum.  Run your rig on a battery and bring the ENTIRE HOUSE down (at the main breaker) see if the noise is still there. Next start snooping the neighborhood... maybe it's an (cable or telephone) AMP on a pole nearby... maybe it's the controller of the neighbor's kid's video game? just gonna take time, patience, and some digging
Good Luck.

CAM
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 10:41:00 AM »

If you have good low band antennas, go to the DX window (3790-3800) at gray line and listen to the Chinese over the horizon radar. Might open some eyes about the function of timed multiple and phased radar.

73, de Lindy
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 11:35:16 PM »

This thing is on discrete freqs, my lil Grundig is not precise enough to stay on one well enough to use it for sniffing around the neighborhood, and my TS-480S is kind of clumsy, I don't plan to install it mobile really....

Choices:

(1) Put the kenwood in the car and some kind of antenna on the roof, some goofy mag-mount, just to get some signal in and drive around..... see if I can find it. This will be cheap except for some cheapo mag-mt ant.

(2) Get an Elecraft KX1 and make a little loop "sniffer" antenna and use that to snoop around, I'll have directionality. That will cost the cost of the KX1 kit though.

I'd be as happy as anyone to blame the Chinese, except, why is the signal so much stronger at my new QTH? And not at all apparent a mile away at HRO?

It's something local. At most it might be something CalTrain has going, which would account for other people along the peninsula hearing it, if they really are - the tracks run approximately parallel with El Camino Real from central San Jose to the city.
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 12:28:58 AM »

OK I took my little Grundig FR200 around for some sniffing, turns out the signal is strongest along the "backbone" of this building, along my back wall, and really strong in the kitchen, especially in.... the sink!

Seems the boiler for this building has a history of problems, I think something's not working right, not grounded, or something. The good news is, put up an outdoor antenna instead of the wire I have strung around inside here, and I may be able to avoid it. Even my hot little Grundig has trouble picking it up out on my patio.
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 08:09:11 AM »

The good news is, put up an outdoor antenna instead of the wire I have strung around inside here, and I may be able to avoid it.

So, all along you were using an indoor antenna and then started experiencing RFI?    

Well, duuhh!  Whada think was going to happen?

Glad you've solved your problem.  Phil
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 07:19:20 PM »

Hopefully I have solved it......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: