Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ICOM 275A to 706mkIIg  (Read 410 times)
KC8WFO

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2007, 04:09:48 PM »

With the FCC changing the rules on licensiing, I've regained interest in the hobby, and would ike to get an all around radio. I've been checking out the 706mkIIg. What is your opinions on this radio as a base station, and as a beginning ham operator. I'm thinking about selling the 275A to offset the cost of a used radio. What is a 275A worth? Thanks for your thoughts
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 02:36:51 PM »

The MKIIG is very popular (although its newer and more deluxe replacement the IC-7000 is bound to take over this position) and pretty solid.  Not my choice for "home station" use because it's so tiny and requires using menus to access a lot of controls and functions, kind of like text messaging using a regular cellphone keypad -- just a pain in the neck.

But, it's popular because it works and is priced right.

Drawback to using a "do everything" rig for both HF and VHF is you can't monitor VHF while you're operating HF.  With a larger HF+VHF rig like the TS-2000, you CAN do this; but with the IC-706MK2G, you cannot.  As such, you might miss your IC-275A.

WB2WIK/6
KC8WFO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 07:02:55 PM »

Thanks for your insight. This hobby, in my opinion, is not really one for a younger operator such as myself, therefore, I can't really see myself paying 900+ for a home station that I may use occassionaly. There are so many features on radios, most of which I know little to nothing of what they do or how they benefit you. I'd like to get into the HF scene and make the long distance contacts, and also keep the local repeaters one touch away. Would you reccomend another radio, other than the 706MKIIG, that would be more user friendly, yet still be compact?
KB9YUR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 03:23:36 AM »

I would definitely keep the 275A! As much as I like my
Icom 746 (which I've been using for over 6 years now),
I can still hear better 2m on my 275H. There's certainly
a LOT of older used radios to consider as well depending
on your budget. I've also owned the 706MKIIG until
it lost power on HF/6m and I sold it (after 4 months of
use).

K5PHW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »

I agree! Keep the Icom. You might look around for a nice IC-735 to compliment it. I loved mine.

Cheers and good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: