Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning electronics  (Read 363 times)
KI4JGT

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2007, 03:21:11 PM »

I would like to know if there was a place I could go on the internet and learn to build, manage, and modify my own radio. My parents aren't "in the money" right now so I wanted to learn on-line to reduce the cost to me
KC9ATJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 06:31:47 AM »

I completely understand the whole cost situation.  As far as learning about electronics, I would recommend going to the library and looking for some electronics books (I prefer hardcopy to digital).  As far as building, have you looked into kits?  If you want to run cw, their are many, many kits out there, depending on what bands, and frequency ranges.  If you want to run digital, their is the small wonder labs PSK series that will let you run PSk31.  If you want to run voice, I don't really know of many kits availible, with the exception of the elecraft k2 series (if cost is as much of a factor as I think it is for you, you probably can't afford this kit).  Also, if you just want to get on the air cheaply, start checking out ebay and all the ham classifieds (eham, qrz.com, arrl, etc.) to look for a good deal.  Also check with local clubs, they might be able to locate some gear for you.  These are just a couple of ideas for you to consider.

73's
Joel Pelz
KC9ATJ
KE4VBG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 08:30:11 PM »

As Joel said, check out your local library and while your looking, see if they have a copy of The Radio Amatuers Handbook. It is a great learning tool that contains information on identifying components and how to use them. It has a lot of projects with great instructions to help you assemble them. You can find a lot on these kinds of books for sale on internet auctions such as Ebay for pennies on the dollar. Each years Edition contains different projects you can build, some simple, some more complex. Get one and keep it handy because it is full of great reference material.

73, Doug  
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 12:45:32 PM »

google

"free electronics course"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: