The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it me or is the QRN ...  (Read 915 times)
NK2X

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2007, 10:11:55 AM »

...getting worse.  I thought maybe my old ears were more sensitive to the static noice.  Here in Northwest NJ, it seems like it's bad all the time (S7 plus) no matter what the band and whether it's on the vertical or horizontal antenna.

Is this just a function of the low sunspot cycle or am I really getting old Smiley

Cheers es 73
Larry (nk2x)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 11:11:07 PM »

If the noise seems to remain the same regardless of the band or the time of day or night, you could have some sort of faulty electrical device in your home or that of a close-by neighbor. You could also have a faulty transformer on the utility pole in your neighborhood.

I went to http://www.vanityhq.com/ where you can click on the N4MC's Ham Locator link on the left side of the page. You can either pinpoint yourself on a map or you can type in your zipcode and see all the hams in your area. The map will show pushpins on their location and you can click on the pushpin and a box will pop up with their name, address and callsign. If you can find someone near you, contact them and see if they are having the same problem.

Scott N0IU
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 11:25:49 PM »

The QRN is probably getting worse as your neighbors buy plasma TV's to gear up for the superbowl Sad

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: