Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is it....?  (Read 1391 times)
KC0VUY

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2006, 07:25:08 PM »

I've been a HAM since the 31st of January of this year. I'm trying to get into this hobby with positive notes in my mind so I can tell others about how nice, warm, and accepting seasoned Hams are of new people.... but, in some cases, seasoned hams are not as accepting of we newbies...

Case in point; here in the Twin Cities, I have been to two communications club. Both of which the "regulars" seemed to be not wanting to accept a "new guy" in to the club. Both clubs give the new people the impression of that they DON'T want new hams to join their org.

I'm not going to go pointing fingers at anyone. If you read this and you live in the Twin Cities and recongnize my callsign, you know who you are.

You know how the thing is that we have elmers? Well, some "elmers" seem like they are just "putting up with the new guys" as a way of .... much to their sha-grin...

My elmers were NOT like that, they were very helpful. The same with the repeater club I'm a VERY proud member of.

Is it too much to ask that seasoned hams make more of an effort to show apprechiation? When I was touring around looking at groups and checking out repeaters; when I would listen to those who were already talking on the repeaters and get that "pit in my stomach" feeling at meetings... everyone gets those.... you can tell who is accepting of new hams and who is not.

There are only 4 repeaters here in the twin cities that I honestly feel comfortable talking on. The other repeaters, the members on those repeaters make new hams feel unwelcome.

No names, but on one in particular repeater, a ham who is disabled, talks on this repeater and the hams on there ignore him or put that tone in their voice that they really don't want to talk to him.

Why do you think that people who want to be hams don't try after listening to repeaters on a scanner? Because they can hear the attitude of the hams on whatever repeater they are listening to and typically get turned off in interest!

If you wonder why people think Hams are "geeky, nerdy, etc.." it's because they probably either listen to scanners or know someone who does and heard from them that a certain frequency has "stuck-up" people on it!

Just because a seasoned ham has a higher license or has been a ham for quite a while; doesn't give him/her the right to talk down, use big technical words, or in some states; totaly ignore someone when a SKYWARN Net is going on and they are reporting a true say tornado!!! (The Mid-Western States need take note)

I was recently at a SKYWARN fuction, I heard that there were some states that when skywarn was in net, TOTALY IGNORED A SPOTTER REPORTING A TORNADO. Just because the Ham was NOT from that state.

Please, for the sake of civilization and human life, get off your power trip and do what you are trained for. Just because the person who has a SKYWARN number you never heard, and also a Callsign from another state does NOT give you the authority to determin when to ignore a possible life threatning cause! If that were the case, then SKYWARN, HAM Radio, and all things considered would be under TOTAL control of the FCC and not regenal managers.

So, can someone explain to me why RACES and ARES Hams don't get along? Here in this state, RACES members think that ARES is a lower class consideration and that the two should be meeting seprate from one another. Here's something to consider... RACES maybe, yes, a higher catagory than ARES; but both functions do the same thing... HEALTH AND WELLFARE... When it all boils down to it, MARS, RACES, ARES, etc need to come down from being full of themselves and understand that if this country ever DOES have another Communications Emergancy as severe as or more severe then the 9/11 disaster; all hams are and should be accepted to help REGUARDLESS of what clubs, organizations, or whatever they belong to.

We are HAMs for a reason. We are not paid by the hour or week to help. We aren't allowed! We MUST, under any cercumstances not get any finacial gain for our services. We became Hams for a hobby and/or to help our country when needed. Please be accepting and welcoming to New and inexericed Hams. Please just let the newbies' mistakes roll off your back like water does to ducks. Please don't talk down to us as if we were a lower being than yourself. We're all human, we make honest mistakes.

My elmers were very accepting to me. They POLITLY corrected me when I make a mistake. They portrayed themselves as gentalmen and have many patients. I am grateful for them and give them the credit for me being what I am today. An Amateur Radio Operator who, when called appon, is there to assist in the communtications for public events, my local (and when visting other areas) law enforcment, and anyone who may be in need of emediate assitance who cannot call themselves.

Thanks for reading this. I needed to get this off my chest. It's be bugging me since I became a HAM.

Scott M Palacheck
KC0VUY
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 09:02:42 PM »

When I went to elementary school I was always taught to CHECK my spelling before putting something out there with my name on it. Good luck with high school....
KC0VUY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 09:10:11 PM »

That's nice... I'll keep that in mind for next time....

Anyway... Obviously you're NOT a Ham... I wonder... do the Ops know yer here? Yer not supposed to be...

Anyway...

Who cares about the spelling... it's the point that counts... Go haunt the AOL Teen Chatrooms like you normally do.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 07:01:07 AM »

<< Who cares about the spelling... it's the point that counts >>

Nope. I agree with drolltroll - Spelling DOES count. Many times the presentation is more important than the point or at least as important.

In the real world, a person who consistantly misspells words and uses incorrect grammar is dismissed as not serious about what they are doing. In professional circles such persons are often regarded as illiterate.

Also, posting childish insults about someone you have never met falls into the same category - childish.

Lon W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 07:47:22 AM »

I am always amazed at the folks who become hams and in 90 days or less feel themselves instant experts on everything they perceive wrong with amateur radio.

I have no idea how old you are, but with the attitude you put forth in your original posting, I can easily see how you may not be welcomed with open arms, especially if you are under 18.

I'm sorry you seem to be having problems fitting in locally, but after re-reading your post a couple of times I can understand why it may be happening.

Hams are no different that any other social group - you have to work your way into acceptance and that is difficult if you start out with a judgemental or critical attitude.

Slow down; quit trying to get into everything at once. Demonstrate (not tell) the clubs you have something to contribute. Be patient. Be nice. Smiley

I urge you to upgrade your license class; ham radio can be much more than 2 meter FM repeaters if you put a little effort into it.

Lon W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KI4NQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 08:30:11 AM »

KC0VUY,

Well Scott, seems like you are getting the Same reception here you are getting in your neck of the woods. Don't judge all hams by the Miserable post's of some. You won't be in the cold for too long.

There are cliques everywhere, and the forums are no exception. Too many think they are bettter than because they have been around longer. The Technician step is the first step, When I was a Tech, I used a 2 meter for learning cw in the lower end of the band, and got some very good results with it. I have a QSL card from sweden I worked on 2 meters ..... it wasnt planed, it was moonbounce.

Enjoy the hobby Maybe we'll hear you on the air.

73's
WN4M
Gary
KC0VUY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:41:51 AM »

Well Gary...

As all can see, the ugly truth has come out. And the ugly truth hurts...

I agree, SOME not all hams are very nice and accepting to new hams. But then you get the cliques where people think they have to express their "power" they think they have because they are a license higher that ... say me(?)....

I know many people here where I live that are no more a tech than I am.

All that having a higher license is bragging rights and making them THINK that just because they have a higher license than a new person, that gives them the right to go on a power trip.

It's funny... When you start exposing the truths about something that is supposed to have some sort of normality to it, people get mad. They want the "civilians" to think that being a HAM is what it's supposed to be. When you start exposing the cliques and the negative side of this hobby, everybody flips out.

I have an internet radio show that I do from 5-7pm(CST) on fridays. I think this would be an very interesting topic to talk about. "Amateur Radio: The pros and cons; the prespective of a newbie and why the hobby isn't as popular as it was".

Have a good day, gentalmen and ladies.

KC0VUY

BTW: I didn't really read anyones reply excpet the last one. Why you ask? Well, I knew I would get some replies from those who know what I'm talking about. I knew they would be upset because it was uncovering the ugly truths of this hobby. Read it and deal with it. You can't deny what was said in my original email. if you do, you're just adding to the misery of it all.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 11:13:28 AM »

Whiners of the World, Unite! I think that should be your motto.

I'm not upset in the least. I think is funny that you come into ham radio and think you are an instant expert on everything that wrong (in your mind) with it.

At least part of the problem is your own attitude. You get treated by people the same way you treat them. That's the way the world works.

Again, I'm sorry you are having problems, but from the attitude reflected in your posts, especially the last one, I get the feeling you have brought a good portion of them on yourself.

I have learned over the years that long, unconnected ramblings and complaints (on just about any subject) generally means there's much more to the other side of the story and your's falls into that category as far as I am concerned.

Lon W3lk
Baltimore, Maryland

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 12:42:26 PM »

KC0VUY wrote: "There are only 4 repeaters here in the twin cities that I honestly feel comfortable talking on."

Well, golly, gee whiz-- how many repeaters can you talk on at once?  What number of repeaters that you "feel comfortable talking on" constitutes a satisfactory number for you?  If repeaters were all there were to ham radio, I wouldn't be a ham.  It's probably been a year since I've talked on a local repeater.

I'm with Lon here.  Spare us your evaluation of the hobby based on limited experiences.

73 & GL,

Chuck  NI0C

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 12:50:11 PM »

KC0VUY also wrote: "I didn't really read anyones reply excpet the last one. Why you ask? Well, I knew I would get some replies from those who know what I'm talking about. I knew they would be upset because it was uncovering the ugly truths of this hobby. Read it and deal with it."

I'm curious-- on what basis did you select the posts that you wanted to read?  Why did you start a thread if you didn't want to read everyone's reply?  No, YOU need to deal with the conversation that you started.

Chuck  NI0C
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 01:41:42 PM »

Spelling does count.

You are a new Ham, but that said, learn from this experience.  Got a problem, deal with the problem.  Better to patronize the repeaters you feel comfortable on, develop some friends there and have fun, than to Bi**h about an entire city's ham radio population.  

How easy is it going to be for you to break in to the clique when everyone remembers your dump fest?  Even the people who don't know you are going to think negatively about you now.

If a group doesn't work, find people that you can work with and work with them.  Eventually you may be able to fix the parts of the larger group that don't work.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 03:32:15 PM »

Scott, you're not endearing yourself to your fellow amateur radio operators, that's all.

The spelling thing is a big issue; however, I've found people who write like this (below) can be fun, too:

"Anyway, I'd love to work for WU from home, but I don't have any college education to speak of pretaining to Weather. I can read maps and figure things out just by looking at it... but put math figures in from of me and I'm as dumb as a box of rocks."

That was taken from this:

this is what I just wrote to our peeps at HQ
Posted By:   MNWIweather at 4:53 AM GMT on January 03, 2006
Updated:   5:42 AM GMT on January 03, 2006

Which came from this website:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/MNWIweather/show.html

The internet is so much fun, you can find out anything about anybody if you try.

(Took me less than 30 seconds...)

Anyway, have fun with the hobby.  It *is* a hobby.  I've never attended a radio club meeting anywhere in the country, and I've "dropped in" on dozens of them over the years, where I wasn't accepted as one of their own quickly.  The good people are out there.

WB2WIK/6

KI4NQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 06:26:57 AM »

Scott,
After re-reading both of your posts, I see where people would have a problem with you. You try to come across as a Prima-dona........ You just got a Technician license, (a Learners permit) and expect everyone to bow down to you. Forget it! When you earn your stripes, then you will be respected. comments like

"I have an internet radio show that I do from 5-7pm(CST) on fridays. I think this would be an very interesting topic to talk about. "Amateur Radio: The pros and cons; the prespective of a newbie and why the hobby isn't as popular as it was"

will get you nowhere. The key word here is newbie. With an attitude like this don't expect respect.

WN4M
Gary
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 09:45:53 AM »

Scott, I didn't mean to offend your sensibilities, well maybe just a little bit. ;-)  I just wanted to wake you up to the fact that on the internet your spelling and grammar is how you dress and present yourself to the world. That's the only thing everyone can see of you.
  Just for your edification I'm also an RF engineer with a GROL and a ham ticket. I lurk here on eham dispensing technical knowledge and/or barbs, just like the outside world. It's an ugly job but somebodies got to do it, no hard feelings, ok?

Drolltroll,
The unofficial eham noodge & noodnick.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 11:51:55 AM »

DT:

<< The unofficial eham noodge & noodnick. >>

I know what a noodnick is, but what's a noodge?

Lon

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: